Chapter 23 - a dinner and an invitation

~•~•~

The adventuring trio go to third-round-knockout during the agreed upon time. They see Zhongli already sitting at one of the tables and join him. "hey there, Zhongli.", Lyra greets him. "Ah you're here. There's no need to order. I've already done so. 'Third-round knockout' is not for lightweights, like those taverns in Mondstadt. Here, the owner does not take such unorthodox orders as fruit juice.", Zhongli tells the trio as they sit down.

"so, does this mean I can order wine this time?", Aether asks. "I ordered some wine-fermented sweet rice balls for you, if that counts.", Zhongli shrugs. "I guess I should have expected this...", Aether mumbles.

Lyra only chuckles. "I guess you still remember that I don't drink, right? After all, while I am of age, I have never liked drinking." – "of course I have, Lilia." After waiting for the food to arrive, a story teller comes up.

"... if it is to your liking, dear customers, I shall continue the tale of Lady Ningguang's Jade chamber.", he says. Paimon visibly lights up at seeing the story teller. "Hey, there's even a story teller here! Great atmosphere!", she cheers. Zhongli nods in agreement. "Besides fine wine, the excellent ambience is the reason why  this place is so well-loved. But when I say ambience, I refer to a different sort from the one Teyvat  travel guide uses to judge other establishments."

As the story teller begins to speak up, the attention of the group drifts to him. "As you all know, high above the land of Liyue lies a pavilion in the clouds, a palace in the mist... what does it mean to have all-seeing eyes? This, my friends: lady Ningguang's masterwork that bridges earth and sky. Imagine. The weather is clear, and you gaze down from the deck on the world below. Behold! The glorious sights of Liyue harbour, stretching out far and wide! They say that when Lady Ningguang ponders important affairs, she retreats to her jade chamber with none, but her three closest confidantes in tow. Why brings she these trusted three? To sift through sources, dig through documents, looking for information. Piece by piece, fact and figures paint a picture on the walls of the chamber... but well before the wall is filled, Lady Ningguang's mind is made up. Having made her call, she has every last document shredded and whoosh! She scatters the shavings out her window. Ah, look at them! How they blow in the wind like a sudden blizzard! As the fragments fall, traces of text flicker before the eyes of the merchants of Liyue, like ink stains in white snow. The saying goes, the rarest treasures in the land are the words brought by the paper snow. For the words of the Tianquan have the power to move mountains and all throughout the land know it. These are but scraps of paper, and yet they guide lady Ningguang's hand – such is their value. Merely grasping one or two of them will surely gift you a fragment of her wisdom – enough to stay a step or two ahead of your peers"

As the story teller steps away again, the group turns back to another. "Tianquan Ningguang... feels like we're hearing this name a lot. Liyue locals talk about her, the Fatui hate her, she's most likely the one who hid the Exuvia, and we saw a her at the Rite of Descension... huh, Paimon wonders what sort of person she is."

Lyra smiles. "Ningguang is an interesting person. I still remember her from the time she became the successor of the Tianquan Azure. Though I don't know how time has shaped her personality. Is she still the same or has she changed? I don't know. But while I was still in Fontaine, I heard many rumours about her concerning what kind of person she is. Though none are confirmed nor denied. I won't trust any of the rumours, so for the time being, I will just stay neutral towards the topic until I get the opportunity to judge her personality myself."

As the group finishes eating, they hear a voice talking to them. "At last, I have found you, you who returned from Jueyun Karst." The group turns to look at the unknown person. "Who's there?!", Paimon exclaims. "Paimon, Lyra, we gotta go..!", Aether quickly states.

"Wait I am not with the Millelith, nor am I here to claim your bounty. However, I am an emissary of the Liyue Qixing. My name is Ganyu, secretary at the Yuhai Pavilion, and I have come specifically to meet you.", the unknown lady introduces herself. "Ganyu, please tell us why you were sent.", Lyra says before the others could retort.

"Of course. I have with me a letter from Lady Ningguang. She extends a formal invitation to you in her capacity as Tianquan. She invites you to her palace in the sky." Paimon tilts her head. "An official invitation...?", she asks. Ganyu nods. "Lady Ningguang said this: 'invite them to come here. I wish to meet them. At the Jade Chamber, together, we shall snip every one of these entwining dark threads." Ganyu quickly bows, ready to leave before being stopped by Lyra.

"Wait. How are we to get up to the Jade Chamber?", she asks her. At that Ganyu quickly turns back. "Oh, apologies, I completely forgot. Go to Yinyan Temple, there you will find Bu'yun. Here is the official letter. Show this to him and he will let you onto the Jade chamber." She hands Aether, who sits closest to her, the letter, before bowing once more and leaving quickly.

"And with that, the emissary who called herself Ganyu just disappeared... but we've received an invitation from the Liyue Qixing. Paimon still can't believe it! Aether! Lyra! We'll be meeting people that have way more money than Paimon could ever count... we should be on our best manners!"

Lyra shakes her head at Paimon's antics. "Please calm yourself, Paimon.", she sighs. Zhongli simply smiles. "Hah... an invitation to visit the Jade chamber is a rare honour, indeed. You'd best be on your way now. But don't forget about the rite of parting. Once you've finished at the Jade chamber, meet me at Dihua Marsh." With that, the adventuring trio bid their farewell to Zhongli and head to Yinyan Temple.

~•~•~