Chapter 60 - What is the Abyss searching for?

~•~•~

They arrive at some ruins and find Abyss mages looking around a Ruin Guard. The travelling trio makes quick work of them and approach the abandoned Ruin Guards.

Lyra makes sure to look around thoroughly for enemies before joining the others.

"... Looking for Chaos Devices, Chaos Circuits... you know that kinda stuff," Paimon says as she approaches them.

Aether shakes his head. "Abyss Mages probably weren't looking for stuff like that..."

"They wouldn't be searching for such ordinary objects," Dainsleif agrees. "In fact, I was nearby investigating precisely because Abyss Mages often come out from that ruin to explore. They seem to be searching the remains of Ruin Guards for a certain valuable object to take back to the ruins," he continues. "However, they look disappointed, so it would seem they haven't found it yet..."

"I see...", Lyra murmurs.

"Well then, why didn't you grab one of them just now and ask what they were up to?", Paimon asks.

Lyra shakes her head. "That won't do. Whatever they are searching for is probably of up most importance to the entire Abyss Order. We wouldn't be able to figure anything out through interrogation. There is something bigger at play...", she states.

"Like... Something related to what we saw in the ruins?", Aether asks.

"Uhhh... Paimon is getting goosebumps thinking about all this!", Paimon shudders.

"Alright, we shouldn't waste too much time here. Let's continue our search.", Dainsleif says and they continue with their search.

"Say, Lyra... what do you think they are searching for? You are quite knowledgeable about so many different things, especially with things of the past!", Paimon asks.

This catches Dainsleif's attention. "Oh? Is this true?"

Lyra sighs. "Yep... anyways, I don't really have much of a clue of what they could be looking for... well, not really anyways... I have a hunch, but I need more information before I can say for certain that my thought is correct.", she says.

Aether hums. "Mind sharing?"

"once we get more info and my hunch turns more probably, perhaps."

Dainsleif looks at Lyra. "You're knowledgable about the past... did I get that right??"

"correct," Lyra confirms.

"May I ask you some questions? It's only some simple questions, similar to the ones I asked your companions over here when we first met," Dainsleif asks.

Lyra nods. "Sure, go ahead."

"In a world of those who have visions, and those who don't, who do you think holds more value in the eyes of the gods?" Lyra hums.

"Neither. Comparable to them, we are merely mortals while they hold an immortal life. In the end, their personal ties are what matters."

"an interesting answer.... Well then, how much do you know of Teyvat's history?"

"a lot more than I probably should, Dainsleif.", Lyra says as she raises an eyebrow.

"I see...", Dain mutters as they continue onwards.

"How did you gain this knowledge?", he goes on.

"My knowledge... it's complicated. Not something that I can explain that is still comprehensible when made simple. But I suppose the gist of it is that I merely have a strong connection to the past," Lyra shrugs.

"That does sound quite complicated... perhaps you could tell me in greater detail another time. What kind of knowledge of the past do you have?"

"I have a lot of knowledge about many different things of the past... the archon war, previous archons, kingdoms of old that are long forgotten... but also some more recent things, like the golden-winged scholar of Sumer a few generations ago...", Lyra says absentmindedly.

"So you know of what happened 500 years ago?"

Lyra adverts her eyes. Aether and Paimon look at each other nervously.

'This is getting awkward... Lyra doesn't just tell other people about the past unless she deems it necessary. And even then, it depends on the person...', Aether thinks to himself.

"I do. So what? I have some knowledge regarding that time, but it does not mean I know everything about it, however. Are those all questions?"

Dainsleif nods. "Yes, thank you for your insight..."

Lyra sighs. "Let's just get this done with... the sooner we can find out what the Abyss is searching for, the more time we have to find I ourselves before they do."

~•~•~