Chapter 48 - Adeptus Desciple

~•~•~

As Lyra heads down from Yujing Terrace, she sees her two companions accompanied by a white haired woman.

"Hm? What is going on here?", she asks as she heads over to the conversing trio.

"Oh, Lyra! This is Shenhe. Two men were harassing her for information. So we  got a Millelith soldier to take care of them!", Paimon says.

"I see. Hello, Shenhe. As you heard Paimon say, my name is Lyra. Pleasure to meet you.", Lyra introduces herself.

Shenhe merely nods in response. "Likewise."

"anyway, Shenhe is hungry and was about to tell us what she wanted.", Aether shrugs.

"Alright. Allow me to pay for whatever you need.", Lyra offers.

"Alright... Qingxin, Glaze Lily, Violetgrass. These are my usuals.", Shenhe states blankly.

"Those are all medicinal herbs...", Aether mutters.

"...medicinal herbs?", the white haired woman asks.

"Ah, no matter. I have some Qingxin and Violetgrass on hand right now. Although...", Lyra pauses, taking out a coin pouch.

"Aether, would you be a dear and get some Glaze lilies from Bubu Pharmacy?", she asks, handing the pouch to Aether.

"Sure, come on Paimon."

As they leave Lyra and Shenhe alone, Lyra takes out a handful of Qingxin and Violetgrass from seemingly nowhere. Shenhe takes them with a small nod, beginning to eat them.

"Hmm... if I am not mistaken... you are Cloud retainer's disciple she told me about, correct? When I visited her she was gushing about her human disciple and how proud she is about her progress.", Lyra teases.

"She did? Well, either way, your guess is correct. I am Cloud retainer's disciple. You are not viewing me differently because of it, are you?", Shenhe asks.

"That would be somewhat hypocritical of me. After all, being the current reincarnation of Adeptus Liliang, or Cloud dancer, does mean I am connected to the Adepti as well.", Lyra shrugs.

Shenhe blinks at her, seeming to want to say something to her, but at that moment Aether and Paimon return with a handful of Glaze lilies. Shenhe takes them with a quiet thank you and eats them quickly.

"My hunger has now abated. Thank you.", Shenhe thanks them.

"How did they taste...?", Aether asks hesitantly.

"Rather awful. Thought they were not completely devoid of sweet fragrance, after consuming a large quantity of them, bitterness is all that remains.", Shenhe says.

"... so how come you chow down on these and barely touch the restaurant food? If Paimon had enough mora, Paimon would go to the fanciest restaurant in town, and order a whole table of food, and eat it all in one go!", Paimon states.

"Because I'm not sure weather I will remain here in the future. The food of the mortal realm is most delicious. But should I return to the mountains, yearning for the food here shall only pose an obstacle to my continued spiritual development. Sampling each dish in order to appreciate its taste is enough. But enough about me. What are your plans form here?", Shenhe asks.

"Oh right! Paimon almost forgot. We came out to take part in the rebuild-the-Jade-Chamber competition! And... and now we're probably super behind because we've been held up for so long...", Paimon exclaims.

"I see. I heard something about the contest when I was passing by.", Shenhe admits.

"Hehe... yep, you get to ask Ningguang any question you want if you win! We're you interested in the contest too, Shenhe?", Paimon asks.

"I came for the rebuilding of the Jade Chamber. But until this point, I had no intention of joining a contest. However, you have shown me your kindness. I would now like to lend you my assistance. Don't worry. I ask for nothing in return.", Shenhe states.

"Alright. Although, to clarify... this competition is all about getting three certain components for the Jade Chamber the fastest, not anything about fighting.", Lyra says pointedly, having been told by Cloud Retainer about her violent tendencies.

"I see. Alright.", Shenhe mutters.

"We need Sunset Vermillionite, Wonder Cores and Adepti Sigils. Let's go by the list. I know where we can get the Vermillionite from.", Lyra reveals.

"You do?", Paimon asks.

"Yes. Have you ever heard of Sea Gazer?", Lyra asks them.

"Who?", Paimon blankly asks back. Lyra chuckles, shaking her head.

"Sea Gazer was once very close to Mountain Shaper. But if I am not mistaken, he has already passed away.", Shenhe answers.

"Correct. Sea Gazer once built an abode to store his rarest and most exquisite treasures – among which was some Sunset Vermillionite. After he passed, the abode was abandoned, and its location was lost to time.", Lyra explains.

"But if that is so, how will we go and find his abode? Also, isn't it disrespectful to just go and take his treasure?", Paimon asks.

"You needn't worry. As far as I understand, Sea Gazer was very open-minded. Even while he was alive, he wouldn't have let something like this bother him.", Shenhe shrugs.

"Correct again. I still remember a younger adeptus stealing something from right under his nose. He didn't even budge!", Lyra laughs out. Calming herself down quickly, she shakes her head.

"Anyway, while present day people don't know where his abode is, I do. Come on, let's head to Lisha."

As they head out of Liyue harbour, Aether and Paimon look at each other unsure, but shrug and leave the question in their head for another day.

'Is Shenhe an Adeptus..?'

~•~•~