Chapter 11 - the gnosis of the anemo archon

~•~•~

The trio arrives at Windrise to see Venti sit below the tree. "the wind amongst the branches is good, I love the way it smells... Haha, I said the exact same thing the last time." He sighs. "why do I only say these things when I'm down on my luck."

"Whisp...", Lyra mutters . Venti looks up at the trio. Aether then speaks up. "So... what is a gnosis?" – "ah, so you noticed.", the bard sighs.

"this isn't something I'm meant to discuss with ordinary people. Then again, you aren't ordinary. So, I suppose I can let you in on the secret. As you know, visions are external magical foci that only a small minority of people possess. They use these visions to channel elemental power. In ruth, every wielder of a vision is one who can attain godhood and ascend to Celestia. We call such people allogenes.", Venti explains.

"allogenes? Paimon's never heard of them before.", Paimon say, looking at Lyra, who shakes her head, indicating she also doesn't know of this. "that's because this is a secret that only archons are privy to. We don't need primitive tools like visions. Instead, each archon has an internal magic focus that resonates with Celestia itself... known as a gnosis.", Venti answers.

Aether looks at him questionably. "what about that thing hanging off your hip? Isn't that a vision?" – "eh-he. It's just a glowing glass ball I carry around to avoid suspicion.", the anemo god chirps. "clever whisp.", Lyra comments, shaking her head.

"so, who was that nasty woman who sent Paimon flying and stole your gnosis?" Lyra sighs. "La Signora, No. eight of the fatui harbingers. She and the rest of the harbingers have been given god-like executive authority by the Tsaritsa of Snezhnaya, and with it, strength surpassing that of other mortals.", she explains. "the Tsaritsa of Snezhnaya? Isn't that...", Paimon starts. "the cryo archon, yes. The Tsaritsa who reigns from the Zapolyarny palace, and the one person that the fatui harbingers answer to.", Lyra confirms.

Venti then continues. "the seven don't always get along well, but still – I never thought that she would plot to steal another archon's gnosis..." – "what sort of god is the Tsaritsa?", Aether asks. "ah... how should I put this? Five hundred years ago, I knew her well. But I can't say the same is true now. You see, a certain catastrophe happened five hundred years ago, and after that, she cut off all ties with me."

Lyra sighs again. "she cut ties with all of the archons. I should tell you the truth about my tenth life... and a little bit about my ninth as well. In my ninth life, I was present in the catastrophe Venti just mentioned. I was not killed during it, I died afterwards due to the aftermath. Then, in my tenth life, I was born in Snezhnaya. Because of what happened, I held a slight grudge against the archons. I joined the fatui- originally it was to get close to the Tsaritsa for revenge, but when I got to know her true intentions – which I am not allowed to share and will also not share, at least for now – I fully devoted myself for her. My name was... Veronica. My grudge for the archons didn't last long... during my time with the fatui, I looked back on my memories. I remembered how I saw each archon in pain, like they weren't enjoying this themselves. So, I learned to forgive the archons and to not hold it against them. I then swore to myself that in my next lives I would try and stay away from the fatui's business as much as possible, as most of the things they do is not justified. There. that is all you will get to hear."

Venti looks at her in horror. "you were present...", he breathes out. "...what happened in the past is all gone now. We can't change the past; we can only live in the present and strive for a better future. As I said, I don't hold it against any of you. I don't hate any of you. But enough of that, please.", Lyra says, looking away.