Chapter 25

Lorelei's knuckles ached from how hard she scrubbed the tiles in Christina's bathroom. Her back was sore from bending over for half of the day. Jesse did not speak while they cleaned, and Lorelei could not get her mind off Christina. Would she really move to Toronto?

Lorelei had been at the mall with Jody for over an hour. Jody dragged her to multiple stores to try on dresses. Jody was talking about how excited she was for The Black Crow. Lorelei's mind was busy thinking about Christina coming to Toronto.

Jody had found her dress at the first store they went to, so she spent the rest of the time picking out dresses for Lorelei. She was in the changing room, and she zipped up the side of the dress. The cleavage was low cut, and there were cut-outs on the side. She shook her head.

"I'm not wearing this," Lorelei said.

"You probably look hot," Jody said.

"I look ridiculous."

"Let me see."

Lorelei let out a deep breath before opening the changing room door. Jody was sitting on the chair by the mirror. Jody whistled, and Lorelei rolled her eyes.

"You look so good," Jody said.

"I look like a sex worker," Lorelei said.

"Yeah," she said. "One that makes a lot of money."

"Next one."

Lorelei turned and went back into the changing room. She slipped the dress off and slid on the next one. It was black and skin-tight. There were no straps, but she was thankful that her breasts were not spilling out of the top. She stepped out and onto the small podium in front of the mirror.

"Too basic," Jody said.

"Seriously?" Lorelei asked.

"You like it?"

Lorelei turned from side to side to check out the dress. She shrugged.

"It looks okay," she said.

"We're not going for okay," Jody said. "We're going for sexy and alluring."

Lorelei furrowed her brows.

"Who am I alluring?" she asked.

"Men," Jody said. "You've got to remind Jesse that you can get any man you want."

Lorelei bit down on her lip. Her mind went to thinking about Jesse and Brian. He had broken Brian's nose at Molly's wedding. She did not know what Jesse would do if he saw a man flirting with her at this club.

"Maybe I should wear a turtleneck," Lorelei muttered.

Jody laughed. "Why do you say that?"

"You've seen how jealous Jesse gets. I don't want to give him any reason to be mad."

"You can't walk on eggshells around him for the rest of your life."

Not wanting to argue, Lorelei sighed and returned to the changing room. She slipped on the next dress that Jody had picked. It was white and covered in lace. Lorelei stepped back onto the small podium.

"No," Jody said. "White is not your colour."

"It's not?" Lorelei asked.

She ran her hand over the fabric. Jody crinkled her nose and shook her head.

"Your skin is too pale," Jody said.

"What am I supposed to do at my wedding?" Lorelei asked.

"You plan on getting married soon?"