Chapter 22

Lorelei was not used to being in a hospital and not being on shift. She was not used to sitting in a waiting room and not being the one that knew what was going on.

Jesse was sitting next to her, leaning forward with his head in his hands. He would only look up when the door opened, and the nurse would announce names. His knee was bouncing as they were waiting. Marlowe was next to Jesse. She was dabbing her eyes with a tissue as she tried to hold back her sobs. Lorelei chewed on her bottom lip. She was unsure how to comfort either of them. She regularly pulled her phone out of her pocket and checked the time. They waited for hours.

The door opened again, and Jesse raised his head.

"Jesse Madden and Marlowe Williamson," the nurse said.

Jesse jumped up from the seat and grabbed Lorelei's hand. He dragged her as he rushed over to the nurse. Marlowe was close behind them.

"How is she?" Jesse asked.

"Follow me," the nurse said. "The doctor will explain everything."

Lorelei's stomach twisted in a knot. She knew that it would not be good news if the doctor was going to explain something to them. She prayed that Christina was alive. His mother's death would tear Jesse apart.

Jesse's grip tightened on her hand. Lorelei gritted her teeth because she did not want to complain about his crushing hold. It was comforting Jesse, and she wanted to be there for him.

The nurse pulled the curtain back, and Christina was lying on the bed. Her skin was shiny with a coat of sweat. Beads of perspiration were running down her forehead. Wires were attached to her chest, and a cuff was wrapped around her arm. Lorelei's eyes immediately went to the monitor. Christina's heartbeat was rapid and irregular. She could not settle in the bed and was shivering. She was muttering words to herself that Lorelei could not understand.

Jesse squeezed Lorelei's hand before letting go. He reached out to move a piece of sweat-drenched hair out of Christina's face. Christina hissed before smacking his hand away.

"Who are you?" Christina asked.

Jesse furrowed his brows and shook his head.

"What are you talking about, Mom?" he asked.

"I don't have kids!" she snapped.

Marlowe put her hand on Jesse's shoulder and pulled him back. She put her hands on her hips and cocked her head to the side.

"Mom, what are you talking about?" she asked.

"I'm not your mother," Christina said.

Christina's eyes went wide when she looked over Lorelei's shoulder. Lorelei turned to see that nothing was there.

A doctor with greying hair and a white lab coat walked past the curtain. He had blue scrubs and a blue cap. A clipboard was in his hands. He glanced down at it before looking at Christina.

"Hello, Christina and family," he said. "I am Dr. Zeldman."

"What's going on?" Jesse asked.

"How long has your mother been drinking?"

Jesse and Marlowe glanced at each other. Marlowe shrugged.

"I don't know," Jesse said. "Over thirty years."

"When was her last drink?" Dr. Zeldman asked.

"Probably a few days ago."

Dr. Zeldman sucked in his bottom lip and nodded as he looked back at the clipboard.