Chapter 12

Lorelei tried her best to prepare herself for the smell, but she still cringed when they stood outside Christina's door. Luckily, the mask Lorelei was wearing hid her disgusted facial expressions. She thought that being a nurse would have prepared her for any smell, but Christina's apartment smelled of something rotten and decaying. She shuddered at the thought of what could be under the piles of junk.

Jesse knocked on his mother's door. They had bought boxes of garbage bags, masks, gloves, and a bucket full of cleaning supplies. Lorelei was holding onto the boxes and Jesse had the bucket.

Christina opened the door. She was wearing her faded flannel robe, but her clothes underneath were clean and tidy. Her hair was tied in a knot and her glasses were on top of her head. She was smiling and giggled when she saw Lorelei and Jesse.

"You came," Christina said. "You actually came here to help."

"Of course, Mom," Jesse said. "We told you that we'd help."

"Alright, let's get to work. Give me those bags, Laura."

"Lorelei."

Every time that Jesse had to correct Christina, his voice became a little sterner. It bothered Jesse more than it did Lorelei.

She passed Christina the box before following her into the apartment. The sight of the piles of junk and garbage up to the ceiling was less shocking to Lorelei this time. She tried her best to keep her gaze straight and not to look around horrified at the mess.

Christina covered her face with a mask before pulling out a garbage bag. She put her hand on hip and looked around.

"I don't know where to start," she said.

"Let's just throw everything away," Jesse said.

"You can't do that! This is my stuff."

"Mom, it's all crap."

"It is not. Besides, you know I am struggling for money. I could sell some of this stuff."

"It all stinks."

Christina let out a huff of breath and closed her eyes. She was trying to control her anger. How different was she when sober? Was she going to shout and kick them out of the apartment again?

"Why don't we throw out the stuff that is obviously garbage," Lorelei said. "We can start with all the take-out containers and coffee cups."

"No receipts," Christina said. "If you see a receipt, give it to me."

"We can do that."

They each took a garbage bag and a pair of gloves. Christina turned and focused on the garbage on the opposite side of the living room. Jesse and Lorelei focused on the same pile. Lorelei was thankful for the gloves when she saw the blue and black mold growing on the edge of the containers and inside the cups.

Jesse shook his head as he cleaned. They quickly had garbage bags full. Jesse would tie the end and set the bags in the hallway.

"I'm going to bring these to the dumpster," Jesse said.

He left the apartment and Lorelei's chest tightened. She was alone with Christina. She hated being alone with a boyfriend's family. Even with Matthew, she got anxious being alone with his mother. She grabbed another bag, but almost all of the garbage was taken out of the living room. Christina crossed her arms and smiled as she watched Lorelei.

"You are a beautiful girl," Christina said.

Lorelei froze. Her heart was pounding in her chest and her mouth was growing dry.