Chapter 18

Christina went out for a cigarette, leaving Lorelei and Jesse in the messy apartment alone. Lorelei had not said a word since Jesse and Christina had been talking about proposing. Hearing about the subject made nausea sit heavy in her gut. The stench of the apartment did not help.

The last time she thought about an engagement was with Matthew. He took her ring shopping, knowing she would be picky about what she liked. He had been cheating on her with her mother for months. How could he have gone to the jewelers and not felt guilty?

Lorelei jumped when Jesse touched her back. Jesse took the garbage bag out of her hands and set it on the floor. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into his chest. He wanted to kiss the top of her head, but he was wearing a face mask.

"Did we upset you?" Jesse asked.

"What?" she asked. "Why would you think that?"

"Because you haven't said a word in over an hour."

Lorelei sighed. Jesse tightened his hold.

"You would never cheat on me, right?" she asked.

Jesse chuckled. She looked up at him and furrowed her brows.

"Are you serious?" he asked. "Lorelei, I love you more than anything else on this Earth. I would never hurt you like that."

She squeezed her eyes shut and took in a sharp breath. Tears pricked at the back of her eyes. She loved Jesse more than she had loved any other man. Matthew's betrayal hurt her, but if Jesse cheated, that would ruin her.

"Thank you," she said.

"Of course, baby girl," he said. "I love you so much."

"I love you too."

Jesse rubbed Lorelei's back. She took a step back, pulled down her mask, and wrapped her arms around his neck. Jesse pulled his mask under his chin and kissed Lorelei. His lips were soft and tender against hers. She pulled him closer and bit his bottom lip. He moaned, and it fueled him to dominate her. Lorelei melted into his hold. Their lips parted, and they were both breathing heavily. Their foreheads pressed together.

"God, I want to fuck you right now," he said.

Lorelei giggled. "You're actually turned on in this apartment."

"If you don't think I'll bend you over that pile of junk, then you are wrong."

"You're so ridiculous."

The door opened, and Christina walked in. Lorelei stepped away and turned to continue cleaning. Jesse slapped Lorelei's ass, and she jumped. The heat rushed to her cheeks as she looked over at Christina to see her rolling her eyes. Lorelei bit down hard on her lip as she picked up the garbage bag. She would give Jesse an earful when they returned to the hotel room.

"Jesse, you need to treat women better," Christina said.

He furrowed his brows. "What are you talking about?"

"Show Lorelei a little more respect."

Lorelei smiled. It was the first time that Christina got her name right.

"Thank you," Lorelei said.

"I remember you not being able to keep your hands off your girlfriends in high school," Christina said. "I was horrified when I got the call that you and Marissa McGraw were found in the bathroom together."

Lorelei's jaw dropped as she looked over at Jesse. He closed his eyes, pinched the bridge of his nose, and shook his head.

"You didn't," Lorelei said.