2 - This is the Sad Part

Please don't forget to comment and vote!!

•••

It's been a week since Rainn has bumped into Grayson and she hasn't been able to keep her mind off of him- as much as she hated to admit it. Seeing him brought back so many emotions and memories, she felt like she was scrambling to keep up with them all. She pushed all of the memories for so long, she thought she had lost them. Maybe she wished she had lost them. Coming back to her family's home wasn't exactly helping with that.

"Honey! So good to see you!" Rainn's mom practically squealed as she hugged her tight.

Rainn chuckled and hugged her back, "good to see you too, mom."

She only lived about half an hour away from her parents, but she only tended to see them every few months during the school year. Once it was nearly over, she'd come and stay for a weekend. It was difficult coming back home after everything that happened, even all these years later.

"Here, let me help you-"

"No, I got it dad, thanks." She politely brushed him off when he made a move for her duffel bag on her lap.

Though she's been in a wheelchair a few years now, it was still difficult for her parents. After her brother passed, they wanted nothing more than to coddle her and protect her the way they couldn't for her brother. Her accident not long after his death only amplified that. Which is why she moved out, once she was handy enough with the wheelchair.

"I think I know my way around." She joked and headed towards her old room.

Her room was different now from when she lived here, but she didn't expect her parents to keep her room the same. It was a beautiful guest room now.

Her hands stilled on her wheels and a quiet gasp left her mouth as she passed by his room. The door was always closed, always. But this time, it was cracked open just enough so she could see it was nearly empty. All of his belongings were in boxes.

She tossed her bag to the ground so she could wheel herself quicker to her parents, angry tears burning the backs of her eyes. "Mom, Dad!" She called, her voice wavering.

"What's wrong-

"Alex's stuff. What are you doing with it?" She cut her mom off, a little harsher than she intended.

She turned to her husband with a stern expression etched on her face and her hands on her hips. "I thought I told you to shut his door when you left."

He sighed and tossed a dishrag over his shoulder. "We were hoping to tell you before you saw it for yourself... It's been six years, Rainn. We thought going through his things and getting rid of somethings would be good for all of us."

"Get rid of somethings?" She snapped and angrily wiped a tear that managed to escape. "Get rid of the last things we have left of him?"

Both of their expressions softened. "No, not everything." Her mom took a breath to collect herself, just as emotional as her daughter was. "We've finally been going to counseling and our counselor suggested it'd be best to go through somethings. Make a 'keep' pile and a 'get rid of pile.' I don't know about you, but I don't think we need to keep his underwear and his whole shoe collection." She chuckled, half heartedly. Truth be told, she would keep all of her son's stuff, but they had to cope. They had to move forward.