Chapter 32

An immense pulling sensation brought Joon back, causing him to stir and open his eyelids.

He was lying on the floor of the receiving room, the sofa behind him reduced to wooden shards and torn seats. The room was dark, all lights switched off, the air undisturbed with anyone's presence.

"Namjoon."

He heard her calling him in his mind, the pulling sensation strongly tugging him to where she was commanding his presence. Joon fought against it, as he stood up and looked towards the door. If only he could escape, maybe-

The sensation overwhelmed him, the invisible ropes binding him, tightened.

He could not even take a step forward before he found himself standing in her room, in front of her bed. Her sitting solemnly in its center.

Similar to the rest of the house, this room too was curtained with darkness. Only the tall doors to the balcony were open, letting the splendor of the white full moon to cast its silver light inside, shading the harsh reality in a haze of a fragile dream. The white curtains danced from the flowing wind, the sound of the black waves breaking the surface with the constant reflection of the bright moon on its inky waters capable of making a person believe in the magic of the night, inviting one to indulge.

Anya sat still, the wound from the knife still bleeding unimpeded, the drops of blood a stark contrast against the snowy bedsheets.

Seeing her, the hollow bitterness and fury returned, clashing with profound gut-wrenching desolation.

"Break the wish. Or change it." it was somewhere between a plea and a command.

Anya shook her head gently, "Once the wish has been cast and sealed with blood, it cannot be reversed. Or stopped."

He stood tall in front of the bed, his silhouette lean and sturdy. A man broken in every corner on the inside.

His specs reflected the moonlight, veiling his scarlet eyes.

"I will never forgive you." He spoke through clenched teeth, his chest tight with pain, "I will never give you my trust again."

Lips tugging upwards, eyes unbearably gentle and soft, Anya nodded, "Don't then. When you meet me again, its okay to doubt me."

Joon tried to stop himself, but like a compulsion, his legs moved forward, his right knee bending and lifting on the bed, his body leaning forward in a crouch.

With his entire might, Joon pulled at his own will, but the restraining bond plunged him with furious pain.

"The array would work on a dark entity or a demon if a sacrifice was offered, beyond the promised life. The sacrifice had to be someone or something it was attached with, or obsessed with. In the absence of which, the array would fail to hold the entity in place, the bonds of the deal would never sink in."

Anya explained when she saw his constant, hopeless fight. "I was the caster, the target and the sacrifice. You were easily bonded with this inescapable leash because of it."

By then, Joon had climbed on the bed on his hands and knees, right in front of where she sat, his breath falling in an icy whisper on her face.

A mockery of laughter vibrated from his chest as he asked with unconcealed bitterness, "Should I be proud of you Anya?"

Anya lowered her lashes, "You are calling my name."

Joon's body moved forward even as the tendons and veins in his neck became prominent with the amount of effort he was exerting to somehow do the opposite of what his body was.