Chapter 22

Anya sat alone on her bed, the others having long sent her up to read the diaries. Mira in particular, had been the most disturbed by what she had heard.

The reason, was mired in filth too extensive to ever be made clear. The reason, behind Joon's choices, was so deeply tragic, that his light ended before it could grow.

Nothing, no amount of love or reason could have helped him.

The cracks had run across in numerous directions, all one could have hoped was for him to break a little late than before.

By the time she met him, it had already been too late.

A child, growing up among those heinous, disgusting scums, could not ever dream of being normal. His being warped from within, was not his fault.

His being a Monster, was not his fault.

After all, Monsters were created, never born. In this case, the dark never had a chance of staying pure, its obsidian shade could not keep the evil at bay. How could it, when the brush to paint the colour was muddied to begin with? As such, no matter the thickness of the colour, may it be white or black, it would only ever be muddied, never pure.

It had been too late.

She, had met him too late.

In such a case, would it have been better not to have met him at all? To let him remain the slave that he had become? At least, he had been numb to the pain, at least, his sufferings would not have corrupted him.

Anya immediately shook her head.

No.

It was precisely thoughts such as these which let the conflict of righteous blindness be born. The question of whether to let him be in pain or have him become a monster, was wrong to begin with. It was a question, that should not even be considered.

The real question was, Should she have allowed a human being to live on another day without him knowing that it was alright for him to smile. That it mattered. That he mattered.

Consequences be damned, the answer could only be the one she had chosen all those years ago.

Love could never change Monsters, it could never tame them. But maybe, it could give them a bit of happiness.

So, the righteous question to be asked should have been, If Monsters are created by the circumstances, then do they not deserve happiness?

Because for every Monster created, it is some part of the society, some part of the family, that failed them immeasurably, to begin with.

Anya looked at the diaries, afraid of what she would read. Afraid, of seeing the gradual innocence be twisted.

"Namjoon?" she called softly, but in her heart, she knew. He wasn't here.

Taking a deep breath, she braced herself. She would only fleetingly read through, not every one of them, she couldn't, cont if she wanted to remain sane.

Because the main question they needed the answer to, still needed to be considered.

And she, was the only one who could decide it.

Reaching out to the first diary dated the oldest, she picked it up. It was a simple leather journal with a tie to wrap around it. Simple, but elegant. Just like him.

Anya opened the first entry.

Unlike his neat and organised self, none of his writings had any dates.

And more odd, was the addressing.