Sandpaper pillowcase

Start from the beginning

In the cold, dark, night air he seems anything but.

To his relief, even without being bold, Tommy still is capable of speech.

"... hey, Ran'?"

"Yeah?"

"I was just wondering.... How- how long did you know I was gone?"

"Hm?"

He didn't expect that, he has to think for a moment. The answer comes with some unpleasant memories but he tries to be honest (no matter how much he kind of wants to sugar coat it all to keep the air from seeming more cold).

"How long?... I think around a week? Maybe a couple days more than that."

He turns to get a better look at the dragon hybrid, who looks deep in thought.

"Why?"

"... i don't know, just wanted to know... was it really over an entire week? Not just a few days or somthing?"

"Yeah, I'm sure. "

"Shit, man, I'm sorry...I-I didn't know "

" I know, but Tom- did you really think I wouldn't notice?"

"I don't know... yeah?"

"How little do you think we care about you?"

His tail stops twitching completly at that for a moment before continuing.

"-It's not that, I just thought youde be to busy is all. I know you cared about me, I'm not stupid."

"We still care about you, you know that right?"

"Yeah... I know..."

Ranboo's not sure he believes that, it makes an anger flare up for a moment before fizzling out without anywhere to go.

" do you? I've seen the way you look at Tubbo and me as if you're waiting for somthing to happen-"

"I'm not! I'm just- look just come back to me once your instincts wear off and we'll see where it goes."

Ranboo frowns at that one, wholly unsure what that's supposed to mean. Before he can question Tommy further, however, they're startled by the sound of a clang from inside of the house.

They immediately rush back inside to see Tubbo in the kitchen with an embarrassed expression and the scattered remains of what was a tin of coco powder, though little remains in the sideways tin rather than all over the ground.

"Tubbo?"

"Oh- hey, gents'. Lovely evening?"

"It's the middle of the night"

"Well what am I supposed to say, 'lovely middle of the night'? I was trying to sound like a fancy waiter or something."

In the corner of his eye Ranboo sees Tommy crouch down to snatch Micheal up from the ground before the kitten can examine the mess of chocolate that's still all over their floor.

"and why's that?"

The goat hybrid shrugs

"I dont know, you guys looked like you where having a moment out there and I didn't want to just interrupt."

"So you knocked over the hot chocolate? Weird plan, big man."

"That wasn't on purpose and you know it. Why are you awake anyway?"

"Same reason as you if I can hazard a guess, couldn't sleep"

" seems like none of us could, tonight."

"Hmm, just like old times"

Old times, back when they first started the tradition of hot chocolate and late night cuddles, back when they first found this place but were still caught up in the fear of being caught or being in danger. To be fair, the first tin of chocolate was there already when they moved in and was made with faucet water. It's a wonder they didn't die from it or something.

"Just like old times"

They stand in the relative dark reminiscing for a few moments before finally starting to clean up, spurred on by the twists Micheal began performing in hopes of wrenching himself free from Tommy's grasp.

Then, just like old times, they use what little is salvageable from the tin to make three (hardly full) glasses.

Then, just like old times, they return to their couch.

Then, like old times, the restlessness drains until they all end up sprawled across the couch. Sleepy conversations promising things they won't remember in the morning until they finally can fall asleep.

Unlike old times, as Ranboo shivers once while drifting to sleep, he's not warmed by a blanket or a jacket.

But by feathery, soft, wings.

(Let's freaking go, another chapter full of dialogue you guys didn't have to wait forever for! This one's a bit shorter but I'm happy with it as is. As always hope you enjoy and are excited for more!)