Sandpaper pillowcase

Ranboo knows they must have fallen asleep at some point but at this point he's been tossing and turning in bed for at least ten minutes. He's not sure why he's so restless other than that his instincts might have something to do with it. Maybe he's just still awake because they all slept in the last few mornings. Either way he ends up admitting defeat, sliding off of his bed and stretching.

If he's not going to be able to sleep, he may as well find something to do. It must be really late judging on how dark it is outside his window so he makes sure to step quietly on his way to the kitchen. Maybe he just needs something to eat. They had refilled the kitchen earlier so there should be plenty of options. They even still have some of Niki's bread to snack on sitting on the counter.

Just as the enderman hybrid reaches the loaf, undoing the towel around it so he can get himself a slice, he notices a figure on their porch. It's hard to see with how cloudy it is tonight but he recognizes Tommy all the same. It seems he wasn't the only one unable to sleep. He cuts off a second slice, leaving hardly any bread left, before making his way quietly to the door.

He flicks on the porch light, even if it's quite dim, much to the waiting Dragon hybrid's surprise. Though the momentary alarm quickly gives way to something much harder to decipher as the door creaks open.

"Ranboo?"

The boy in question hums in confirmation, taking in the scene. It's not much, really, Tommy's just sitting at the edge of the small slab of old wood, the light making feather lined wings glisten whenever they love (however slightly). What he can recognize in the blond's expression is tired and stormy.

At least he's apparently keeping the promise to take breaks they made him take, even if only in the middle of the night. As Tommy returns his gaze to the patches of stars in the sky, his horns almost glow softly (something they only seem to do in this form). It's refreshing to see his common form, even if part of him aches at the thought of how many years of it he missed.

Wordlessly, Ranboo sits down next to Tommy, pretending not to notice the wing that immediately brushes against his side. He wonders if it should feel more foreign than it does. Tubbo sure seems more reserved around brushing up against them, at least. But he's not Tubbo, he didn't spend a bunch of time with Tommy as a dragon and Tubbo didn't have to feel more about Tommy then missing him.  

There's also the way that the dragon hybrid's reveal just makes sense to him. While he never thought anything of it, deep inside he always knew that Tommy's sounds were less like enderman whoops and more like a growl, bark or chirp. Tommy always liked collecting things but preferred just to keep them in the house rather than instinctually carry them around.

He was always to protective whenever other people were around, more preventative than the defensive only  stratify Ranboo tends to feel. Something makes more sense for Tommy to be a dragon. Whether that be in his pride or his sounds. He always would climb and run, preferring being on higher ground. The wings on his back just make sense for him to have, even if they were never around.

Ranboo wonders if he should say anything about it, if it would help Tommy at all. Maybe it would be weird to say, or be too invasive. Before he can make a decision either way, he's drawn out of his thoughts by the blond besides him shifting uneasily.

Tommy's eyes are returned to the ground, then to Ranboo where they're held for a moment, then they once again fall.

A breeze flutters past them, on the border between refreshing and cold.

It's clear that Tommy wants to say something but Ranboo isn't sure if he'll ever hear what it is. It's an odd thought, he's so used to thinking of Tommy as nothing but bold.