Ghost rider

Wilbur's mind is oddly quiet as he hears Phil give a sobbing Tubbo the reins to Crowza's saddle, only pulling himself onto friend's back with a heart that races without the help of his mind. He gives Techno a worried glance before looking ahead, to the dark purple dragon that gets further every second he takes to make the decision to chase after him.

His thoughts don't return until friend begins to move underneath him.

Even before Tubbo had received the letter, Wilbur was worried about Mellohi.

It had been a few days since he's been able to spend any time with him and he could only hope that the dragon hybrid had been taking care of himself. He remembers contiplating sneaking out in the middle of the night, worried that he hadn't been.

Now that time has decided to crash into the small group of misfits (and as he races after the enderdragon hybrid on friend's back), he can't help but feel justified in his fears.

"Mellohi!"

Friend chirps worriedly as if also calling for the boy that ignores them both

"Mellohi?!!"

He feels each thud of friend's feet on the rolling grass hills as if it's a second heartbeat. He's not sure if it's comforting or only making his panic worse

He was able to win this season's competitions, he should be able to catch up to a literal child... but for a moment he thinks that he's not going to.

Mellohi got a head start, after all, and feathers litter the space between him and the dark feathered hybrid.

"Mellohi, please!"

He wonders if the dragon can even hear him.

He wonders what happened to Tubbo's brother.

He wonders if he somehow could have prevented this, if he could have kept the joy that had been in the air only minutes ago.

The hills give way to a strip of forest that gives way to the beach of a hidden cove.

To Wilbur's  relief, that is where the the chase finally ends.

As soon as friend bursts through the thicket Mellohi finally slows to a stop at the water's edge.

"Mellohi?"

The boy finally turns his head to look at him.

Electric blue eyes shine with stormy emotion as the dragon's chest heaves.

Wilbur slowly slides off of Friend's back, holding eye contact with Mellohi as he begins to approach him.

He steps closer to the trembling hybrid as he would approach a wounded animal, empty hands on display in case the dragon's instincts have taken over.

From behind the piglin, Friend whines nervously.

A whimper responds to the sound that tugs on Wilbur's heart.

" Mellohi? ... Are you with me?"

The dragon shifts in place anxiously before quietly barking back, hardly breathing.

Despite the apparent anxiety and the feathers that flutter to the ground, Wilbur feels himself relax a little bit at the sight of him.

Relieved, he drops his shoulders and gives the dragon a nervous smile.

"Ok, good... I-I have a lot of questions but let's just start with calming down, ok?"

Mellohi pulls his legs close to his body before sitting down, feathers puffed up and tail swinging dangerously.

The dragon hybrid whimpers but starts breathing easier as Wilbur crouches down in front of him.

" there you go, take a deep breath"

Wilbur feels concern and confusion crease his features as he reaches out to stroke Mellohi's face, the action allowing the boy's feathers to finally flatten (if only slightly).

" much better.... Now, what just happened? Why did you freak out like that"

A broken whine is all that responds to him, a nose that rivals his entire torso in size nuzzling it's way into the Piglin's open arms.

Wilbur just frowns, dutifully petting the dragon's face.

" what's wrong, bud?"

Wilbur feels Mellohi try to bury himself even more into his chest.

The concern that was already flooding Wilbur's mind only doubles and he tries to read the boy's behavior in vain.

Until he realizes somthing, the unhealthy feathers, the panic, the whimpers and barks that tell him nothing.

" Mellohi.... Are you- are you stuck? In your thirdplace form, I mean?"

Mellohi shutters, pressing enough of his weight onto Wilbur that he falls backwards.

He doesn't bother to fight against it, even if it makes him feel oddly small. He's too busy running through what he can possibly do. He assures the dragon who chirps apologetically that he's not hurt.

It's only been a few days since he saw the dragon in his common form... but he's been living for almost a month with little to no breaks so maybe just a few days was enough.

"Fuck. That can't be good"

Mellohi whines in agreement.

He may not know why Mellohi even tried to transform back at the picnic, nor why he ran.

He doesn't know what demons the boy kept hidden from him.

But Wilbur does know that he's going to find help.

He knows that he has to find a way to restore Mellohi's magic as soon as possible.

Hopefully an old friend is willing to help, though he's hesitant to ask him when it puts Mellohi into a vulnerable position to tell anyone else.... But they don't have a choice.

" are you up to following me? It'll be a long flight but it'll help you"

Mellohi considers him before nodding

" ok, then... let's go"

He gets to his feet, brushing sand from Mellohi's face.

The dragon gives the hill where Steve is now the only silhouette they can decyfer one last glance, then follows Wilbur's example and stands.

He steals his nerves.

Phil and Techno have Tubbo, he has Mellohi.

They can fix this, they have to.

(Just being transparent, I will not explicitly explain the next canon hours nor who the friend is ever. Or at least it's not in the current plan

Things are certainly happening tho and I hope it's worth the times you've been forced to wait for an update, and of course, I hope you enjoyed and don't mind how redicukously short this is :3)
(Also glad you guys liked the last chapter)