Chapter 9.2

AFTER the last test, we gathered around Sudou's desk again.

"Hey, did you do okay?" asked Ike, anxiously.

Sudou was on the verge of losing his cool.

"I don't know... I did everything I could, but I have no idea how well I did..."

"Don't worry. You studied as hard as you could. I'm sure you did well."

"Damn it, why did I fall asleep?" Sudou fidgeted, clearly frustrated with himself. Horikita then stepped in front of him.

"Sudou-kun." 

"What is it? Are you going to lecture me again?" he grumbled.

"It was certainly your fault for not reviewing the old test's final section. However, as you said, you did everything that you could with the time that you had. You didn't cut any corners or give up. Considering how much effort you put in, I think you should hold your head high and feel proud."

"What is this? Are you trying to comfort me?"

"Comfort? I'm speaking the truth. When I look at how far you've come, I understand how hard studying is for you, Sudou. So, let's wait for the results."

"Yeah... Okay." 

"There's...one more thing. Something I need to amend."

 "Amend?"

"Earlier, I said that your dreams of becoming a professional basketball player were foolish."

"Why are you reminding me of that?"

"I researched how someone could become a professional basketball player, and I learned that the road to success is an incredibly rocky one."

"So, you're telling me to give up because it's a reckless dream?"

"Not at all. I know that you're passionate about basketball. I also realize that you probably understand how difficult it is to play professionally." Horikita still acted in her normal, aloof manner, but this was clearly an apology, albeit an awkward one. "There are many Japanese people who fight to enter that profession. There are some among those who wish to become internationally renowned. You're one of those people, right?"

"Yeah. I'm incredibly stupid, but I want to play ball. Even if I have to live a pathetic, miserable life as a part-time worker or worse, I'm going to achieve my dream."

"I never thought I needed to understand anyone except for myself. So, when you first told me that you wanted to play basketball, I insulted you. However, I now regret that. Someone who doesn't understand how difficult, how arduous basketball is has no right to dismiss that dream as foolish. Sudou-kun, don't forget the hard work and effort that you poured into studying. Apply that diligence to basketball. If you do, you might be able to go pro. At least, that's how I feel."

Horikita's expression was the same as always, but she bowed her head to Sudou.

"I'm sorry for what I said back then. Well. Now that I've said my piece, I'll be going."

Horikita left the room, her apology still hanging in the air.

"Hey, did you just see that? Horikita apologized! And so nicely!"

"I can't believe it!"

Ike and Yamauchi were both completely stunned. I was pretty surprised, too. Kushida was as well. Horikita had acknowledged that Sudou had done his best. A dumbfounded Sudou, still seated at his desk, looked after Horikita as she walked through the classroom door. Soon after, Sudou, put his right hand over his heart and looked at us.

"O-oh, no... I... I think I might be in love with Horikita..." he said.

Yeah...we notice.
________________________________________________________________________________

Word Count: 545 Words