Chapter 23

'Um, Sophie?'

Sophie blinked. She had zoned out, thinking about the what ifs.

'Linh just asked which sleeping bag is yours.' Tam said.

'Oh!' Sophie turned red. 'Sorry. The golden one is mine.'

'What were you thinking about?' Keefe asked.

'Just wondering what it would be like if we were normal elves.'

Marella sighed. 'I miss it.' She admitted. 'Just... not having to worry about getting killed by the Neverseen. Or just going to Foxfire and getting dirt on people.'

'It's why I want to take the Neverseen down.' Linh added. 'To be able to breathe again.'

'Without being worried about breathing gnomish plague air.' Keefe aimed for a joke. A couple of laughs.

'Well, if this sleepover is the only normal we'll have for a while...' Dex started.

'I say we go for it!' A voice from behind him said.

It was Fitz. Everyone was still mad at him.

Keefe said so.

'Yeah, Fitz, we're still mad at you. Especially Foster here.' Keefe informed him.

'I get it. I'm sorry Dex.' Fitz said. 'I don't know what happened back there. I just got... overprotective.' 

'Biana is my little sister. It's weird to see her date my friend. I mean, what if Bex decided to date someone you knew? Overprotective vibes.'

Dex nodded. 'I wouldn't yell, though. That was a bit much.'

Fitz looked ashamed. Then sad.

Then he broke down.

It was a full tear fest, complete with choking sobs.

'I'm so - so sorry!' He said between tears.

'It's okay!' Dex patted him. 'It's fine.'

Fitz calmed down after a bit. Then, he started talking.

'She was in love with Dustin Faraday. Son of a bad match. He was a Vanisher. He loved her too, and they dated for a log time. Dustin was kind, and caring. But then, one day, Biana went to his house to surprise him with her homemade rifflepuffs. And then, she saw him kissing this other girl!'

Fitz threw a cushion in anger. 

'She demanded an explanation. Turns out, Dustin had been cheating on her for three years.'

Fitz shook his head.

'I beat him so bad.' 

Dex patted his arm. 'I understand. But I will NEVER do anything to Biana. I swear it.'

Fitz smiled. 'If you do, you're SO dead.'

Everyone laughed. Dex would never do that.

'So, can we sleep? We'll brainstorm the problem tomorrow.' Maruca yawned.

The group nestled down in the sleeping bags.

Hey guys! 23 chapters! 

I'll be a bit slower on updating now. Sorry!

Aanya