Ⅴ. 𝐑𝐮𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐬

Start from the beginning

The Great Hall was bustling with student life. Some splayed out on the benches, feeding themselves bacon and donut holes. Some with their heads in their hands sipping pumpkin juice out of a straw. She felt herself pause for a moment, taking it all in. She'd never seen this much food before. Not that her family had ever gone hungry but there certainly had never been enough to stuff themselves three times over.

Virginia wandered over to the Gryffindor table and sat down by herself. After a quick prayer, she buttered and put jam on some toast. It was the most simple thing there and that felt more right for her. She hadn't paid for anything, whilst she was in their debt she realized she should take up as little space as possible.

Someone cleared their throat. Virginia jumped a little and looked up with all the girl's in her dorm in their classes - she had expected no one to talk to her.

A girl was standing next to her, resting one combat covered foot on the bench. She inspected Virginia dully. Her eyes were lined with dark green and silver, her skirt was not the required uniform but instead was plaid and preppy covering her tight stockings. The makeup adorning her face was utter perfection and her hair fell in a pattern around her shoulders. She was unfairly gorgeous.

"Hello Muggle, I'm Pandora Sailstream. Heard you got paired up with Loony Lupin to give you a tour, should've been me. Guess Dumby figured you wouldn't be a Slytherin, crying shame in my opinion. You can always get it changed like Johanna though," she spoke like she thought she was the most important person in the room. She didn't smile when she spoke and she barely even opened her mouth.

"Whatever do you mean," was all Virginia could muster up as a response.

"I-" another girl cut in, her jawline was dangerously sharp, her hair silky smooth and her height unmatchable, "was a silly old Gryffindor like yourself, last year got under the hat again. Sorted me in Slytherin. Might have had something to do with my Pop's influence though."

"I didn't know that was possible."

"Neither did Dumby, bit of a shock for my activist brother, I will tell you," Johanna said lamely, sitting down on Virginia's other side and snatching up her remaining toast.

Virginia sat silently, stewing in confusion.

"Look," Pandora leaned forward, her breath smelt of a meadow on a crisp spring day, "I grew up with Sirius Black. I watched your eyes when you first saw him, the attraction is irrefutable. But I'm marrying Sirius, not you. So take your eyes off my soon to be fiancé or I'll... gouge them out." She decided to smile then, a sadistic one that made her look more diabolical than happy.

Guess she wasn't kissing that particular boy. James seemed off the table too. It seemed Peter and Remus were the top contestants in the running. She detested herself for thinking like that.

"I-" she made to defend herself but got cut off.

"Dora, Jo, c'mon you two, leave the new girl be. We all know you only want to date Sirius for the pleasure of breaking his heart," a bored voice spoke from behind the three sitting girls.

"Whatever," Johanna said, standing before leaning in once more to whisper, "darling, we're going to send you running for the hills. So maybe take your muggle ass and leave now." She stalked off after Pandora.

Virginia's eyes widened as she turned to look at her savior. He was tall with gray eyes, black hair and a familiar way about him.

"I'm Regulus," he introduced with a small smile that looked more sympathetic than welcoming.

"Black?" she asked, "you look like you're related to him at least."

Regulus grimaced, "technically yeah, we're brothers."

Virginia didn't find the need to introduce herself but did so anyway, just to be safe.

"Why'd they pick that name for you? Hardly suits you," Regulus said, lazily sitting in the seat next to her and picking some pieces off a fruit platter. He did so delicately like he'd been trained in the fine art of eating in the proper way.

"I haven't the faintest idea, it's not a bible name after all," Virginia shrugged.

Regulus's eyebrows furrowed slightly, "What's a Bible?"

"Only the most important text-" she made to continue but stopped before going into her practiced and routine missionary speech.

"Right," he said skeptically, staring at her for a second. He blinked a few times and looked away, turning his attention back to the fruit.

"What's the deal with Pandora and the other girl? They seemed civilized enough and then they called me a muggle and told me not to date Sirius. I must say they did confuse me. Threats mixed with... them wanting me to have interacted with them more?"

"Purebloods, the both of them," Regulus said with slight distaste, "just annoyed you're not a Slytherin. Rumor has it there's something special about you, they either want it from you or want to extort it. Besides, Dora's been 'in love,'" he said the phrase with a crinkle in his nose, "since the beginning of her first year. Jealous, I'd imagine hence the muggle calling. She's a complex girl, changes her mind a lot but never her motives."

"Jealous of what exactly," Virginia asked. Was it perhaps her lack of magical ability or her incredibly strict family?

"Inconsequential," Regulus said after a moment's pause. Virginia nodded slowly. Regulus stood and brushed his hands off, "now if you'll excuse me, I have a class to get too."

"Uh wait a minute please," Virginia said with a timid smile as she stood up as well, "can you tell me where the Herbology Classroom is?"

"Sure," he said, sounding a bit peeved, "walk outside, the front entrance y'know and then walk left until you see green houses." With that, he turned on his heel and walked away. She had a very sure feeling that would be her first and last interaction with the boy. At least, she'd gotten the information she needed. She was rather grateful for it, actually, since now she didn't have to wander aimlessly through the building.