forty-three

After a quick trip to the bathroom, Emmett and a few of my teammates made our way to our waiting ride. We were some of the first few people on board and had to navigate getting this wheel chair through a few mountains of gear that was already strapped down and ready to go. But finally, Emmett pushed me deep into the belly of the plane until I saw the waiting stretcher. It took a few minutes for me to stand up from the wheel chair again, the pain pills were finally kicking in and I was ready to pass out for the flight.

            But finally I was able to move onto the stretcher. Once I was comfortable, Rob took my boots off before Emmett clipped me into a few seat belts and put a blood oxygen sensor on my finger. After the two of them were finished making sure I wasn't going to end up on the floor if the plane banks, Emmett gave me a few blankets to keep me warm and tucked a pillow behind my head.

            "Rob?" I called out to him before he left my line of sight.

            "Need anything?" He asked turning back around and coming over to me.

            "You're in charge of Gold Team until further notice. Everyone is going to be on leave for now, but if anything happens, you're Gold One." I said needed to pass the baton off to him for now.

            "I'll always be Gold Two, Gold One is taken." Rob said and gave me a warm smile.

            "Can you call my moms and ask them to pick us up from Fort Bragg? I haven't gotten a chance to do it yet and we can't go back home still injured like this." I said leaving Morgan's name out of the sentence but he knew I was including her.

            "I'll make sure they are waiting for you on the tarmac, get some sleep boss, we will be home before you know it." Rob said.

            Now that my mind was at ease, I could barely keep my eyes open. I was able to hold out long enough to see Morgan get onto the plane and get into a seat not far from mine. She flashed me a smile that was meant just for me before I closed my eyes, dreaming about getting to wake up next to that smile forever now.

            The flight home was a peaceful one. I was asleep for pretty much the whole thing. I only started to come too when my pain pills started to wear off. I'm pretty sure that Emmett gave me a heavier dosage of pill because my brain was so foggy when I started to wake up. When I was able to focus on my body for more then a few seconds, I noticed an oxygen mask on my face. I finally opened my eyes and looked around at the plane. Everything was still pretty quiet as it is still dark outside. I pushed the oxygen mask off my face and started to move around as much as I could while being strapped to the stretcher.

            "Hey, Daniella, how are you feeling?" Emmett said then came from somewhere behind me to lean against the side of my stretcher.

            "You gave me hard drugs didn't you?" I asked and cringed at how dry my throat felt.

            "Yea, better off for you to sleep for the whole flight and it worked, we are landing in a about an hour." Emmett said.

            "And the oxygen?" I asked trying to take the mask off my face.

            "Leave that on until we land. With the pressure changing in the plane, your levels dropped after we took off. You were still breathing well but I wanted to make sure your oxygen levels stayed up. When we land I'll turn it off. Do you need anything in the meantime?" Emmett asked as he put the mask back over my face.

            "Just some water." I said. Emmett nodded and was off in search of it. While I tried keep my eyes open until he got back someone took my hand under the blanket. When I opened my eyes, I saw Morgan sitting in a chair next to me. I couldn't help but give her a dopey smile.