thirteen

Before he dropped me off at mom's house, Dominic and I went to get some food. We stopped off at a diner not far from base that both him and I remember dad taking us too whenever we with him. We both got dad's special, a French dip sandwich with waffle fries and a chocolate milkshake for dessert. The chocolate milkshake was a bit too sweat for my taste but it didn't stop me from draining every last drop.

            After Dominic dropped me off at home, I found mom and Peyton curled up together on the couch. I didn't bother them as I took the boxes now filled with things I wanted to take home with me to Georgia and brought them up to my room. I went through the boxes and organized them a bit better and then sealed them up for transport.

            When that was done I felt a bit better about things and I went downstairs. Mom and Peyton were still curled up together on the couch so I just took the soccer ball my team found into the backyard. I dragged the old soccer goal I had in the shed out and set it up before I started some music. Shot after shot made me feel a bit better. By the time the sun set behind the clouds, sweat was pouring down my face and I finally gave up to lay down in the grass. The pinks and oranges blurred together as darkness slowly crept into the summer sky.

            Peyton came outside just as the last of bits of orange started to faded from the sky to check on me. She didn't have to say anything, she just sat down on the grass with me for a few minutes before we got up together and put away the goal before going back inside. While her and mom started to prepare some dinner I called it a night, still full from the big lunch I had with Dominic. My shower was long and felt nice to wash away the sadness of the day. My bed was calling my name once I was done and I crawled right inside.

            For the first time in a few days, sleep was actually restful. There were no dreams, no nightmares, barely any tossing and turning, just actual rest. When I woke up the next morning, I started my day with a good breakfast and read the paper before taking a call from Rob to go over a few training things I wanted him and Monica to brush the team up on. After going over the training details, I wished Rob luck and hung up so I could get ready for the day. It was going to be another hot one out so I went simple, a pair of black jean shorts and a blue t-shirt I had from my stash at dads house. Before I left my room, I grabbed two of my knifes I took home with me and placed them in easy to reach places. The unpredictability of the day left me to want to take my pistol with me too, but I knew better then to take the gun out from my safe, and, it was easier to hide the knifes.

            On my way out the door, I left mom and Peyton a note to tell them I would be out all day, grabbed my camo hat and keys and I was gone. The tattoo shop was once again empty when I got there. Shane was waiting behind the desk this time though and gave me a smile when I walked in. After a brief chit chat and going over how my other tattoo is healing, I gave him the idea's I wanted for these two new tattoos. On my left forearm I wanted to get dad and Dominic's Chevy while on my right forearm I wanted to get a simple easel with a blank canvas sitting on it wrapped in a vine of flowers that are to be pride colors for mom and Peyton and how they first met at that art show.