twenty-five

The next few days in Germany were slow. I've given my team the time off so we could all reset and prepare for what is about to come. My arm hurt and I've tried not to move it to much so it will heal well. While we were still in Germany I did have the team get all of there gear ready to go and packed up. My gut was telling me that we would be on the move sooner then later.

            During this off time, I have been busy working. Every day I've been in intelligence briefings with Major Collins and Morgan. Together with Major Roman and Ryan, we have been slowly trying to make a battle plan. Latest intelligence has shown that Russia has a 40-mile-long convoy assembled and ready to move towards Kyiv. Then there are reports that Russia has sent troops up north to scout out Chernobyl.

            As we were coming up on being a week removed from operation Black Spear, we got the official order to move out to Poland. Rzeszow Military Base will be our new home for the time being. Since the team was already mostly packed up when the order came I was happy that we didn't have to rush to get everything done. While most of the team was packing up the last of there things, I taped shut a box of my things I wanted to mail home. I didn't want to bring extra items with me to Poland and now that the fall is almost here, I didn't have the need for multiple pairs of summer clothes.

            The post office on base was open and even though it cost me a small fortune to mail this box home, I was happy to not have to lug some stuff with me into another country. On my way out of the post office, I stopped under a tree and pulled out my phone. Even though it's the middle of the night back home, I still had some phone calls I wanted to make.

            Thanks for calling Mallory, if this is a telemarketer, lose my number, anybody, leave a message and I'll eventually call you back. BYE.

            BEEP. "Sorry for calling in the middle of the night. I doubt this is the kind of voicemail you would want to wake up to but I just wanted to give you a call. We are leaving Germany today so things are going to be moving pretty fast now. I don't know if I'll be able to get in touch with you if things go sideways. So I just wanted to call and say hi, hope you have a good day. Give Logan an extra squeeze today. I'll try and give you a call if I can. Bye."

            Dominic's phone, if this is anything car related, please call the Waldo's Motor Parts phone number. Even though I work there, I do have a personal life and this is my personal phone number. Yup, so leave a message and I'll get back to you.

            BEEP. "Hi loser. We are moving out today. Wanted to give you the heads up about it. I know we haven't talked a lot this deployment, and now any calls are going to be even fewer and far in between. Just wanted to let you know how proud of you I am and that I love you. Hopefully I'll be able to call you soon to hear your voice, but until then, this will have to do. Love you little brother."

            To my surprise, when I dialed Peytons number, she picked up the phone. When the call connected I checked the time as saw that it was easily 3am at home right now.

            "Peyton?" I asked still surprised.

            "Hey honey." She sounded tired, like the I haven't slept in days tired.

            "Should I ask why you are awake right now?" I asked concerned. Peyton sighed and I could hear something moving in the background but couldn't place it.

            "No, you shouldn't." Peyton said and then I heard a door shut. I'm guessing she left the bedroom.

            "Okay, I was just going to leave you a message that I'm moving out today. Things are going to pick up pretty quick once we move." I said.