twenty-eight

Morgan and I went separate ways to Major Collins' office, not wanting to be spotted coming in together from being out all night. I made it to her office first and took a seat. Major Collins and I didn't say anything to each other while we waited, I just pulled out my notebook and flipped to a fresh page in case I needed to take notes. A few minutes later a knock was heard on the door and Morgan walked in with three cups of coffee in hand. She kicked the door closed behind herself and held out a coffee for me and then one for Major Collins.

            "I didn't know how you take it Major so it's just black." Morgan said and took the seat next to me. I gave the cup a swirl and took a sip to find the coffee perfect.

            "Hell, at this point I'll take anything with caffeine in it. I only got back on base a grand total of a half hour ago and came straight here. But enough about that. You two ready?" Major Collins asked as she took the lid of the to-go cup of coffee.

            "As ready as we can be Major." I said and took another sip of coffee, starting to feel my body really start to wake up.

            "Good, here are the latest maps of everything we know of, they were updated last night and also include a route that will hopefully lead you guys right to the steel mill. Here are also one satellite phone, it is for regular check ins. Regular means every few days so we can track your progress and for you to report anything and everything that's going on. The phones are encrypted but I also don't want you speak openly about your location. On the map I gave you, there are different checkpoints with names. Use that when you call to update us. If a team member is down and needs a medical evac, the code word is going to be trauma, really simple and easy to remember. If things start to go sideways and you need a priority evacuation, your kink word is albatross. Call the number pre-programed into the phone and say it three times to whoever answers with the team name and then we'll come in or assist in whatever you need. Any questions?" Major Collins asked.

            "If I have additional info on the enemy, how would you like me to report it?" Morgan asked.

            "Your CO gave you a laptop right?" Major Collins asked.

            "Yes, back in the states." Morgan answered.

            "Use it. Everything on that laptop is linked to a cloud we have access to see. So save anything and whenever Donovan calls to check in we can look into it from there." Major Collins.

            "Are there copies of the maps on there too?" Morgan asked.

            "There should be, if not I'll have a team link them into the cloud now so it's ready for you when you need it. If anything goes wrong and you think the intel is compromised the code word is going to be ghost. Go dark and burn all the paper. We can scrub the laptop from here but it also doesn't hurt to put a bullet through the hard drive." Major Collins said and took the first sip from her coffee. She grimaced and reached into a desk draw and came away with a few sugar packets. After she stirred them into her coffee and took another sip, it seemed like it was better.

            "Anything questions?" Major Collins asked.

            "I'm good if you're good." I said and looked over to Morgan. She only nodded and I turned my attention back to Major Collins.

            "You're both dismissed then, I'll see you in a little bit in the hanger to see you guys off." Major Collins said and flashed us both a sad smile.

            "Go, I'll catch up to you in a few." I said to Morgan when she stood from her seat. She gave me a look and I only gave her a small nod before she took her leave and shut the door behind her.