thirty-nine

With everyone on task, we moved as one large team. We have a little bit of cover from the furnaces and chimneys towering above us, but I don't know how much I believe in there structural integrity. My only thought is that if they have survived all of the shelling's so far, I'm hoping they will hold up for one more day while we start to move these people out of here. As we got closer to where we believe the bunker is, our team started to break off into our groups.

            I slung my rifle around my back so I could start to move the ruble out of the way. Morgan stayed close by my side and we ended up working together to clear through some of the debris to try and find an entry point. It took an hour of moving rock and steel before someone finally radioed out to everyone.

            "JACKPOT!" Yelled someone on Alpha team.

            "Moving in!" I responded and Morgan and I made our way over to where they were working.

            The teams gathered around and found that there is one large slab of concrete covering an access door. We all looked around at each other before I took my rifle off my shoulder and took a corner of the massive slab. Almost everyone else followed my lead and on the count of three, we all pushed. The slab was slow to move but I put everything I had left in me in pushing this thing. This was it, the last thing from us getting inside. With one final push, we were able to get it off the door.

            I hit the floor once we were done pushing and everyone needed a few seconds of rest before we even tried to move again. I think I blacked out at one point because one second I was kneeling just over the slab and the next I was on my back looking at the sky as Morgan and Cosima were yelling in Ukrainian through the door to try and get anyone's attention inside. Just as I started to right myself Emmett came over to me and held out half a bottle of something.

            "Do I want to know what's in here?" I asked looking at the neon green color of it.

            "No, just drink it, it will help pick you up." Emmett said and left me to help someone else out as I started to drink.

            Once the concoction was down my throat, I took another second before standing and taking my rifle again before walking over to Morgan and Cosima.

            "What's going on?" I asked them.

            "They are moving things away from the door, when the slab came down, it pushed the door in and now they can't get it open. Monica was going to blow it open." Morgan said.

            "We have enough explosives to get through that door?" I asked.

            "Yea, Monica and Akito are getting rigging it up now." Morgan said just as Monica walked over with Akito holding a strip of explosives.

            "Alright, lets clear the area and let them work, make sure nobody is near the door when it goes off." I said.

            Morgan and Cosima both nodded at me before I started to make sure everyone was behind cover. While they were still working I radioed Bravo team to let them know what we were about to do and to make sure the coast was clear. After I got confirmation that everything was still, Morgan and Cosima took cover with me. Monica and Akito weren't far behind them, holding the trigger.

            Once they got behind another bolder, Monica flipped the switch and we heard the bang of the C-4 going off. A few seconds later we heard another clang of metal hitting the ground and I turned to peak my head over the concrete I took cover behind. Smoke was billowing out from where the door was and I slowly started to stand. Monica and Akito were up first and they waved us in once they check it out to make sure the explosives worked correctly.