twenty-two

When I woke up the next morning, alone in bed, but still able to see Morgan sleeping not far from me, my heart hurt. So close, but yet so far apart. This is going to be the new normal over the course of this deployment and I have a fear the longing will only get worse when we get moved to Poland then later Ukraine. I tried not to let it get to me as I slowly woke myself up and got out of my bunk.

            The common room was blissfully quiet with only Rob awake sitting at the table. I got myself a cup of coffee before joining him at the table. Just as I settle into my seat, Rob patted my forearm and I looked over at him.

            "I'm proud of you for finally getting your head out of your ass about her. I could tell she is just as into you as you are of her." Rob said. I gave him a watery smile before leaning into him. Rob wrapped his arm around my shoulder to pull me in closer and melted in his arms.

            "I bet you're happy you won't have to hear me complain about the situation constantly anymore." I said when we broke away from each other.

            "Oh definitely. Now I'll just have to put up with how sickening in love you are." Rob said as I took my first sip of coffee. I almost choked on it as Rob laughed.

            "The boss is in love?" Corporal Dexter Herrera asked while rubbing the sleep from his eyes startling both Rob and myself. Well, I guess that's what we both get, Dexter is our lead scout and reconnaissance expert. He always calls me boss even though I always try to get him to just call me Daniella and he always refuses. Now I know he means it as a sign of respect. When he first started on the team, it took a few months before he felt comfortable telling me that.

            "We talked about this last night Dex, were you not paying attention?" Rob asked as I got a good breath in my lungs.

            "Oh I was, I was just trying to see if I could get the boss to admit to it again." Dexter said with a smile on his face.

            I couldn't help but throw my slide at him. Dexter easily got out of the way of the incoming projectile and laughed on his was to the kitchen area. Rob just snickered as I finished off my coffee. When I was finished I washed my mug out and grabbed my slide back from the where Dexter put it. Once it was back on my foot, I walked into the bunk room and tried to be quiet while getting dressed in my range gear then grabbing my ID and phone on the way out the door. Once I had everything I returned to the common room and found Rob sitting in the same place I left him.

            "Any chance you want to come check out the range with me?" I asked as I finished tying my hair up into the tight bun that has become my default hair style.

            "Yes, I heard good things about the outdoor long range here. I'll met you in the gear room in a minute." Rob said and stood from his chair.

            I walked over to the gear room and started to pull on my vest and and helmet when I heard someone put the passcode into the door. The buzz sounded and Rob came around the door and went over to his gear locker to get ready.

            "How much more time is left on your contract?" I asked as I unlocked the cage in my locker to pull out my sniper.

            "Same as you, we re-enlisted at the same time, two more years." Rob said as he put on his vest.

            "I'm not renewing when the two years are up." I said and turned to look at him.

            "What brought this on?" Rob asked as he attached a knee pad to his pants.

            "Dad, he wrote a letter for me to read. I think it's finally time I stop running from my life and actually start living it. The Army will always be family, but I think it's time I start to make one for myself." I said and nodded finally sounding sure of myself.