nine

When I got back to the truck, mom was finishing up a phone call. She just handed me the keys and I started it up. The drive across base wasn't too long or unfamiliar. I've been to dad's office here on Fort Bragg many times before. I think this is the first-time mom has been here in years though. I just pulled into a parking spot when mom got off the phone.

            "That was your dads attorney, he works in the same building and is going to let us inside now that we are here." Mom said and I just nodded and killed the truck. We got out of the truck and made our way to the front door of the office building.

            Inside the reception area dad's attorney was standing by the reception desk. Turns out I've met him a few times before in passing. Always coming or going from Dads office.

            "Good afternoon, you must be Shannon, we just spoke on the phone. I'm Jason Pretoria. I know we've only met in passing before but your dad talked very highly of you Daniella." Jason said and held out his hand. I clenched my jaw and shook it.

            "Thank you" I said wishing to get on with things.

            "We'll go up to my office first and go over the special instructions Peter left behind and after I'll show you both to Peters office where you wont be disturb. I'll just knock on the door when I'm getting ready to leave for the night to see if you've gone yet. Shall we?" Jason said and pointed towards the elevator bank behind him.

            Mom nodded and we followed behind Jason to the elevators. We silently rode up to the sixth floor before the ding was heard and the doors slid back open. I took moms hand in mine as we followed Jason down a long hallway to his office. It was only then did I take off my sunglasses and slipped them into one of my many front pockets. Mom and I turned a lot of heads as we walked inside. I'm sure the news of dads passing has spread around base and I knew that I'll be turning heads for the rest of the week I'll be here.

            Jason opened the door to his office for us and we walked in and sat down in front of his desk. He closed the door a few moments later and took his seat while opening the folder he had open on his desk.

            "So everything was pretty much straight forward. You guys don't have to do anything with Peters monetary assets. All of Peters bank accounts had predetermined beneficiaries attached to them so once I send over an official death certificate they will liquify the accounts and spread the money accordingly. He did have trusts set up for Daniella and Dominic. His wishes were that his pension, retirement accounts and death benefits be split equally between the two trust. There are rules he put in place to access the trust though. For Dominic, he can only access the funds for any additional schooling, for the purchase of a house or if he encounters financial hardships to which he could prove. If none of those happen, the trust will dispense the funds on his 28th birthday.

            "As for you Daniella, the you can access the trust when you either retire from the military or encounter financial hardships to which you could prove, otherwise the trust will dispense the funds on your 30th birthday. There is also a subsection in both trusts that pertains to marriage. If either of you were to get married before these funds were dispensed, the funds were to be placed into an account which only you or Dominic were able to access."

            Jason paused and I took a breath as there was a lot to unpack with that opening. I was happy to know Jason was getting right down to it and there weren't any emotions getting involved.

            "Am I allowed to know how much in assets the trusts current hold?" I asked.

            "Of course. The trust fund accounts are currently going to be receiving a large increase once the money is reallocated from your fathers current accounts. I think with everything factored in I believe they each have about five hundred thousand dollars in them. The accounts will be managed by your fathers financial adviser until they are ready to be accessed and I will give you his information in a little bit." Jason said.