thirty

It took a few minutes but finally Cosima's dad Petro assured me that my team is safe here on the farm and I called them out of hiding. I did call for Rob to leave one of the trucks hidden as a last resort exit if things go south here. Petro didn't question it when two trucks came through the field with more gear on them then it should have. Morgan did have to pull Cosima aside for a minute to give her a quick run down on what she could and couldn't say relating to the mission and the third truck in hiding.

While I was expecting to see what was going on in the barn, Cosima's father invited us all inside the house. The team got a kick out of seeing baby pictures of Cosima but I had my guard up. I made sure to get Rob alone for a few moments to tell him to do the same along with Dexter and Beth, both of my reconnaissance experts. They only gave me a nod and started to move silently through the crowd to blend in.

Monica also nearly had to tackle Cosima when she picked up the phone wanting to call her mother. Nobody could know we made it this far into the country this quickly or where we are right now. If the Russians were listening in on the conversation, Cosima's family property would most likely be gone in the next air strike. So after we laid down a few ground rules, I eased the tension a bit when I asked for a drink. Petro thought it was the funniest thing and clapped his arm around my shoulder to pull me into the kitchen, separating me from the team.

He pulled a mason jar out of the fridge and poured the contents into two tumbler glasses before handing me one. I finally let go of my weapon to take the glass.

"The fact that you are here right now just proves to us that this is as bad as we think it is." Petro said and took a sip of the clear liquid.

"Things are not looking good. This is only supposed to be a stopping point for us before we carry on to Mariupol. I knew Cosima had family from Ukraine and when she told us where the house was, we were able to make it a stopping point on our trip." I said and took a sip from the glass, giving Petro a sign of trust.

The alcohol burned going down but it was quite smooth. No doubt that a full glass of this stuff will have me flat on the floor though. Petro nodded at me and took another sip himself.

"You are in charge of all of them?" Petro asked pointing back towards the living room where my team was still standing around.

"Yes, this is my team, your daughter included." I answered.

"How long have you been doing this? You don't look that much older then my Cosima." Petro said and I took another drink.

"My military service has been for ten years, been on this team for the last six and leading it for the last three." I answered looking at the last bit of alcohol still in my cup.

"Daniella right?" Petro asked as he finished off his drink.

"That's me sir." I said and did the same. The alcohol making my body warm under all of these layers.

"You and you're team will be safe here for as long as you need it. Stay in the house. We've turned the barn into a bit of a mess. Tomorrow we will talk war. Cosima will show you to everything you need. I just ask that you only use the hot water for showering. It takes a long time to build up. One thing, if you are fighting for our cause, you need to wear a blue armband. If you don't, my team will shoot you thinking you're a Russian solider." Petro said and took the empty glass from me.

"Of course sir, I will let my team know." I said.

Petro nodded and walked out of the kitchen. I knew he was sizing me up the moment he pulled me alone. I was just hoping that that was enough to show him that we are truly here to help. Cosima followed Petro out of the house and I let them take some time together to catch up while I laid down some ground rules for my team while we are here.