Prologue

*Disclaimer. This story is set during 2022 with all current world events and political climates happening. I will be pulling from real life events from around the globe as well as doing research to try and make those events and anything military related accurate. I hold the upmost respect to those who serve and continue to keep our country safe. But I just want to make things clear, that though the events surrounding the things I write about in this story are true, all encounters and fighting in this story are completely made up. Please be advised that any and all negative or political comments will be deleted, reported and blocked. If you are unable to abide by that please do not read past this point.*

The heat of the desert in Afghanistan is just adding to the stress of this mission. What was supposed to be a quiet night raid turned into an all-day affair with minimal supplies, water being one of them. The lack of water is going to soon be a problem if the high value target does not return from his weekly trip. The intel that created this target package for us had to be pretty solid for us to deploy in the first place, but now it looks like the HVT is staying away for longer then command thought.

            Next to me, my spotter Robert Rath is looking down his scopes again to see if any vehicles are incoming. We are on this mission to support the army's top Delta Force team, Alpha Team, by providing on sight overwatch and sniper support. This hasn't been Rob and I's first mission with a Delta Force team, but it just happened to be our first with Alpha team. These six guys are some of the most well-trained soldiers I have ever been around. I just want to make sure Robert and I impress them so if they need an additional sniper unit, they want to call on us.

            "Everything is still quiet. It seams like this HVT got spooked, I don't think he is coming home today." Robert said and put down his binoculars after his latest look around.

            "I don't know how long command is going to let Alpha team sit in his house. We are going to need to at least wait for nightfall to come again before we can clear out. If we try now and get seen, I don't like those odds." I said and put my rifle down.

            Our sniper hide is about a half a mile away from the HVTs house on one of the highest buildings around. Robert and I spent the night putting up some netting around the slots of the façade to hide our movements when we needed to break position, like I need to right now. I back away slowly from my perch and rolled out from under the little tent we had to set up to help us hide from the sun. Once I made sure I was behind the wall that lead back downstairs to the main part of the building, I stood up and stretched my body out a bit. I took a towel from my pack and tried to soak up some of the sweat that keeps pouring down my face but it's not going to help for long.

            "How much water do you have?" I asked Robert as I pulled open one of the MREs I had the good sense to take with me.

            "Less then I would like if we are going to be out here another night." Robert answered as I bit into a really dry piece of carrot cake.

            "Alpha one, any update from your end of things?" I broadcasted into my walkie.

            "Negative Eagle. Intel said that HVT would have returned by now. Havoc, do you have anything for us?" Alpha One asked.

            "Another Negative Alpha One. We can't risk putting a bird overhead as we officially removed ourselves from the country. If HVT does not return by nightfall then albatross, confirm copy." Havoc answered.

            "Good copy Havoc, albatross confirmed if HVT does not return." Alpha one confirmed and I sighed.

            Albatross is our code word for pulling out of the opp. At least we have confirmation that we aren't going to be stuck out here all night. I continued eating the MRE I had and when I was done, I downed almost half of my water supply. When I packed everything away I wiped my head and face again before crawling back under the tent to take my place next to Rob.