ғᴏʀᴛʏ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

"You told him he could fire me?!"

In utter amazement, Madelyn looked at her boyfriend on the other side of the kitchen island. Max had driven to her apartment in London immediately after his conversation with Christian to tell her the news. Only it hadn't arrived very well.

"Lyn, don't you understand? It was the only way to let him agree to the deal," Max tried to explain to her.

"I don't care! I had told you beforehand that I didn't want you to risk my job, and now you have!" Madelyn yelled through the apartment. Her head was turning red. Not because of compliments Max usually gave her but because of anger.

"Lyn, I'm sorry. But I had to get that deal," Max apologized, ashamed.

"You didn't have to do anything. I told you this was not a good idea. Now I'm still suspended, and it will be impossible to convince the board to change the rules. I'm going to lose my job, Max, because of you."

Regretfully, Max looked down. "What do you want me to say besides that I'm sorry?"

"For now, nothing," Madelyn mumbled as she leaned against the countertop in front of her. The couple remained silent for a moment, both thinking about what they were going to do.

"I want you to leave," Madelyn said softly after a while.

"What?" Stunned, Max looked at his girlfriend. "Lyn, please let me fix this."

"Max, you know that my job means the world to me. You just risked the most important thing in my life," Madelyn explained calmly to him. "I just need some space right now."

"Lyn, please," Max said as he walked around the kitchen island. He stopped in front of her and cupped his hands around her cheeks. "I love you."

Madelyn looked up at him with tears in her eyes. "I love you too," she said with a soft voice. "But you broke a promise to me, a very important one. I need time and space to think about all of this."

Max dropped his head and nodded. "I understand," he whispered. He looked up again when he felt her hand on his cheek. With her thumb, she caressed his skin, and she pressed a brief kiss to his lips. "I'll call you," she said.

Max nodded, biting his lip before he stepped away from her. He walked towards the hallway but turned around in the doorway. "See you later, Lyn."

Madelyn gave him a weak smile, tears still present in her eyes. "Goodbye, Max."

✭・.・✫

Two weeks later.

It was complete chaos in Zandvoort. Everywhere you looked, you saw orange. Thousands of members of the Orange Army had come to the coastal town to see their star shine. Even Daniel had put on a cape to feel at home among all those fans. And, of course, to support his best friend.