Vouch for you - part 3 ♦️ Targaryens/Velaryons

Song: Ramin Djawadi - I am hers, she is mine

Warnings: nightmares, more fluff with Aemond, slow burnish, the bro's trying to apologize, Aegon remains a Dick and Heleana is so sweet.

•••

You woke up with cold sweat yet again this night. Your hair sticks to your skin and it makes you feel awfully dirty. Luckily your maidens did not blow out all of your candles, like you asked them.

You rush to the window, in desperate need for air you push open the thing and hang out your head.

You take a big gulp of air while You feel tears fill your eyes. They spill over when you look down at your bound wrists. This time around it is not rope thankfully, but the bandages Aemond refreshed mere hours ago.

The door swings open suddenly, making your heart jump in your chest. Your breathing picks up again but it manages to slow down once you see a familiar face coming towards you.

Again he is without eyepatch, making you wonder if he does it because he finally feels comfortable enough or he does it because he makes you want to feel better about the scars forming on your wrist.

'I heard some noise... are you alright, princess?'

You roll your eyes at the title for the first time since you have been here. 'Must you always call me princess?' Your sudden agitated tone makes him frown.

You turn back to the window, feeling like you need air still. That cold night air should make you feel awful as well and yet it feels comforting.

'What has troubled you so suddenly? Y/n..' he speaks as he closes in on you. 'Is it any discomfort from the bandages?' He reaches out.

'No, this lays a little more complicated than pain...' you tell him as his comes around your arm to turn you to face him.

'What is it then?' His other hand comes up to your shoulder, softly squeezing some reassurance into you.

'I am fine-'

'Do not lie to me...do not pretend that you are content when you are clearly not..'

'I do not lie, Aemond-'

A huff escapes his lips before a hand comes up to cup your cheek. 'Why... why do you feel this constant need to appear strong? Why do you want to convince everyone that you do not need help?'

'Why? Because I have been showing people my weaknesses for far too long, do you see where that has gotten me? I cannot sleep, I cannot close my eyes for even a second without feeling anxious! I do not want my brothers to hear that they have succeeded bringing me down to... to.. to THIS!'

'And what exactly does THIS mean? Because I see you no different than before...'

That for some reason, brings tears to your eyes. Your mouth opens and closes, trying to say something, anything. Nothing comes out however.

'Not many things shock me, or make me turn away.. this included...' he whispers.

'They broke me...' your voice cracks. 'No.. they did not...' he replies, making your anger finally boil over.

'LOOK AT ME AEMOND!' You yell. 'I cannot sleep!...I cannot be alone in the dark because that frightens me! Everything seems to scare me! And They tried to apologize Aemond, they tried and I hate it! I hate that they think an apology will make me less angry or sad! I hate that they think an apology will be enough!'

'What do you mean? This will not stay forever Y/n.. it will take time-' you pull away from his grasp, slapping his limbs away from you before turning around to face the window again.

'Daemon visited me this afternoon... together with my mother... he told me that the man I was betrothed to called everything off, and that all the suitors that already were foolish men, those who asked for my hand, have all backed out... no man in Westeros wants me, and if I am not good for a strong union to another house then...'

'Then nothing.. you are a highborn lady... a princess.. it would be foolish to marry you off to some lord far away...'

'Aemond, that is not the point!' You frustratedly scoff. 'What they did never goes away... they have managed to completely ruin everything for me...'

'Marry me then... that is one of the problems solved...'

'You offend me Aemond...'  you scoff at him and his silver tongue.

'How so Y/n?' He asks stepping closer to you once again.

'You jest-'

'I most certainly do not jest.. have you known be to be that cruel?' He turns you to face him.

'No...'

'I understand if you have lost all trust in me as well.. it's only logical.. but I will not let you think they have ruined your life... not when I am around..'

'Where is this coming from Aemond? This sudden need to protect me, to shield me from everything coming to harm me?'

'It has always been there.. I always feel that need to keep you safe, because we are the same.. I never had that protection..' also I am madly in love with you, and I want to protect what is dear to me.

'Then from now on I will be that person for you.. to protect you...'

He lets out a chuckle and it makes you glare at him. 'You jest again! My Prince, you are not very kind to me tonight...'

'Please forgive me then, my princess..'

'I will, if you do something for me...'

'Anything..'

'Stay... with me... tonight... I am afraid to go to sleep... I might need some protection from the nightmares...' You turn serious again and how could he refuse you anything?

'Then I guess I do not have a choice, my lady needs my protection..' He softly smiles.

That's how you and Aemond end up in your bed, together. You should be able to sneak Aemond out early in the morning, this way his reputation will not be spoiled, like yours already is.

You hug yourself close to him, his hand supporting your back to hold you against him. You must admit that this makes you feel safe again, just like it did the other night when you returned with the stag.

You close your eyes, not noticing Aemond has turned his head to watch you. He feels you getting less tense as the minutes progress. 'I love you...' he whispers.

He almost hits himself in the head, what if you haven't fallen asleep yet? What if you heard him. A soft snore breaks his train of thought however.

He does not like to stir things up, with you of course. With his family he wouldn't hesitate to provoke his nephews, especially now. But with you, he wants you to feel content, no matter the cost.

You have a lot to deal with at the moment, he does not want you to worry even more, the marriage proposal already was pushing it as he experienced, oh what he would give for you to see him like that. To have you think of it as an actual possibility instead of a mere joke. His heart aches the way you think so lowly of yourself, because those men are indeed fools, not for asking your hand but for turning you down now. They are nowhere near worthy of you, even Aemond believes he couldn't possibly be worthy and yet, you give him this bit of hope.

What he doesn't know however, is that you heard him, right before you fell asleep. And you cannot wait to say it back to him.