chapter twenty-three

"ೃ did you find him?"

everyone quickly started to question us as we landed at the portal where we left them.

their faces fell with worry when they saw the same group come back, without him.

i climbed down from the saddle. bolin flew mango so i could sit with the kids on the way there.

we climbed down with tear streaks staining our faces.

i helped jinora and kai down, avoiding everyone's stares.

i was standing next to mango, holding onto her fur, when korra and asami came up to me. 

"where is he?" korra asked softly.

i kept quiet for a moment. the look on skoochy's face when i told him he was going to be okay will forever haunt me.

i think for a split second he believed me.

my hand flew to my mouth to quiet down the sobs and i shrunk down to the ground, losing any strength in my body.

i weeped as korra and asami went to be by my side. they kept saying things but my mind was running with so many other things that i couldn't hear them.

the more i sobbed, the more my chest started to hurt and the weaker i felt.

.·:*¨༺༻¨*:·.

"seriously? when did they even have time to get engaged?"

"when everyone was this close to death apparently."

a couple weeks passed since kuvira surrendered and her troops were sent back to the empire.

or kingdom? i don't know.

we were back in the reconstruction phase.

and apparently, another wedding was in order, because during all the chaos, varrick proposed to zhu li and now they're planning a wedding.

we were at the police department, handing out kits filled with food and other resources like that.

he looked over. "oh, there's the happy couple now."

i looked behind me and saw varrick and zhu li walking toward us hand-in-hand.

"hey, you two, come to help volunteer?" bolin greeted.

"of course not. have you met me?" varrick laughed.

i sighed, thinking how miserable zhu li is going to be married to him for the rest of her life.

"we came because zhu li needed to ask y/n something." he said.

i looked at zhu li. "what is it?"

she walked over and took my hands. "y/n, i know this might sound kind of weird and lonely, but you were actually my first friend since primary school. you've been super kind and welcoming, even after everything varrick did to you."

i chuckled lightly at that. "so, since you were the first friend i ever made, i wanted to ask if you'd be.. my maid of honor at the wedding?"