chapter nineteen

"ೃ so, how many families have you recruited?"

wu pulled out a folded up paper, unfolded it, and read it out to raiko. it's been three days since he first put us on this job.

"it could be better, but so far, we have recruited.. nineteen families." wu said.

"nineteen? but there's millions of people in this city." korra said worriedly.

"i said it could be better." wu shrugged.

"the problem is, it's voluntary. and no one really thinks they're in any immediate danger." mako told her.

"you'll keep at it. now-" raiko put out his cigarette on the ashtray when the doors bursted open.

bolin, suyin, and surprisingly, zhu li, ran into the foyer out of breath.

"guys! oh spirits, good- you're all here." he breathed out.

"what is it with you and interrupting important meetings all the time?!" raiko yelled.

"bo, you okay?" i asked.

"yeah, i'm fine."

korra's face lit up as she saw suyin.

"su! what- you're okay!" she stood up and hugged her.

"how did you escape?" she asked.

before she could answer, bolin spoke up. "opal , lin, toph, and i went and got her and her sons out and we had a run-in with kuvira. and got a close look at her new spirit weapon. like super close, like way too close." he explained.

mako and i look at each other before looking back at bolin.

"is she going to use it against republic city?" tenzin asked him.

"yeah, actually zhu li can tell you all about it cause she used to be on her side- but she never really was, cause she was pretending, so i'll just let her explain." bolin said quickly.

i looked at zhu li. "i pretended to be loyal to kuvira to sabotage the weapon but i failed. but i did overhear her plan to attack republic city in two weeks."

"i knew she wouldn't stop at zaofu." raiko grumbled.

"my guess is she'll be bringing in the weapon by rail." lin added.

"then we'll cut off all the rail lines. but to do that, we have to evacuate all the citizens first. mako,  y/n."

we both turned to him. "go with the prince and the chief to spread the news. the evacuation is now mandatory."

"yes, sir." mako nodded. the three of us left the foyer along with lin.

"we have to get to the radio station." i muttered to mako. "there's way too many perils we gotta let know."

"yeah. i called, our family's already on a train-"

"that's good. but i'm not worried about them." i said.

"oh. then who?"

"skoochy. i couldn't find him there's past few days, i hope he hears the news and gets out of here. i can't have him here while kuvira's fixin' to blow up the goddamn city."

"didn't you get him arrested?" he asked.

"no, i put him on probation."

"alright. we'll call his probation officer and his foster family. we'll find him." he sighed.

i nodded slightly.

we left the office and flew to the police department. we made it to the station where radio tellers worked to report the news and such.