chapter twenty

"ೃ this is gonna be the hardest battle we've ever fought."

i sighed out, stuck in my thoughts, as air temple island came into view.

we landed on the courtyard while tenzin and pema, along with another police officer and the president were running outside.

we radio'd them earlier, letting them know we were coming back but didn't explain why.

mango groaned as she touched the ground finally.

i was the first to jump off, and i almost tripped from my legs being so wobbly.

"are you all okay? why're you back so early?" tenzin asked.

"it's kuvira. we had the wrong intel, she must have known zhu li had information." i breathed out.

raiko turned to korra. "what is she trying to say?"

"she's a week early and only a few hours away." korra finished.

"that's impossible! we're not ready-" tenzin said.

"and that spirit weapon? it's attached to a giant mecha suit. it's over twenty five fucking stories tall!" korra said as we all walked up to him.

raiko turned to lin. "call general iroh and tell him the attack is happening today. we need to lock down the city."

she nodded and ran to another part of the temple.

"i'll go find wu and help evacuate the rest of the citizens." pema said to tenzin.

"i'll go over to the warehouse, try to get the hummingbird suits up and running. mako, bolin? y/n?"

"yeah, we'll help." i nodded.

she nodded. "i'll fly over to the front lines to help general iroh." korra said.

we agreed on what everyone was going to do and gathered everything we needed before getting on mango again and flying again.

we flew to asami's factory and everyone began helping out in their own way.

as korra was about to leave, asami and i followed her up to the roof just to talk to her.

"if anything happens, i'll come right back here." she sighed.

"we trust you. please be safe." i said as i gave her a hug.

"i will. good luck you two." she sighed before going to give asami a hug too.

we watched as she took her airbending stick and flew away from the tower.

she's going to the very front lines. i tried not thinking about how worried i was seeing asami's expression.

i took her hand and she looked down at me. "we should go."

she nodded and we went back into the factory to her office to help out with the machines.

even though none of us were mechanics.

asami was powering up one of the hummingbird suits.

we kept hearing booming sounds outside the building.

i looked out the window that showed the river and the city and saw the mecha-giant sticking out of the skyscrapers.

it was a terrifying thing. i let out a shaky breath, staring at the cannon attached to the arm.

i remember when we just barely missed it earlier this morning.

bolin wasn't exaggerating when he said it blew a clean hole threw a mountain. it looks like it could evaporate a whole mountain.