chapter eighteen

"ೃ can we get ice cream?"

"can you shut the fuck up?"

"what??"

i turned to wu, surprised he could hear me considering how quiet i said it. i whipped my head around to see his expression.

"oh.. uh, do you have ice cream money?" i asked.

i turned back around to look at the sky.

"that's not what you asked." he deadpanned.

"it's not what i asked." i smirked.

he huffed and sat back down on the saddle. i laughed to myself.

it's the next day and we were gonna go to the old neighborhoods first but mako told me jiang was able to get his mom out last night.

she arrived in the city early this morning.

so e quickly went to the police department, told the rookies they'd have to volunteer and get people to evacuate.

now we're on our was to jiang's factory where him and his mom are right now.

and it's also conveniently the first time mako's meeting jiang's mom.

and he is a nervous WRECK.

"what if she hates me? oh fuck, what if she's mad i didn't ask her permission to marry jiang?"

"mako, you'll know when we get there. can you shut up, too?" i sighed.

even mango groaned in annoyance because of how much rambling he was doing.

"you're reading too much into this. it doesn't matter if the mom likes you. if jiang likes you, then she's obligated to!" wu advised.

"no! no, do not listen to him! that's terrible advice! she has to like you." i called out.

we landed on the roof of the factory a minute later. i hopped off before the guys did too.

i look and saw mako was rubbing his hands on his pants. "can you stop?" i snapped.

"no, i'm fucking scared. leave me alone." he said quickly.

i mocked him and laughed before we entered the door that led to the stairs.

we made it down to jiang's workplace at one of asami's factories.

since he studied all different types of physics in school, asami gave him a job working as an engineer, helping her build different things like automobiles and other tech-y inventions.

we walked into the office with a bunch of workers walking around drinking coffee, smoking and talking and the sound of steel and metal clashing against each other.

i looked around the place and found jiang talking to one of his coworkers while pointing at a blueprint.

"jiang!" i called out.

he turned and smiled when he saw us. "hey, guys! give me a second." he said.

i gave him a hug once he walked over. "what are guys doing here? i thought you were coming much later."

"we needed to talk to you." mako said, giving him a quick kiss.

he looked at the prince and nodded his head.

"nice to see you, prince wu." jiang bowed slightly.

"good to see you. now we have to get you and your mom outta here." wu said.

"what.." jiang looked up to mako.

i chuckled lightly. "that's not how you-"

i sighed and turned to jiang. "we should talk."