Chapter 70: Scary woman

Beta read by Shigiya

.

.

.

-???-

Everything felt surreal to Kiba, his eyes widened while gazing at the appearance of people he considered as enemies to his comrades now protecting Hachiman from the attack.

"Riser?" Rias said, equally speechless at seeing her former fiancee protecting her boyfriend. 

Despite his change, she still hated that man for his past actions. Not to mention, a pure Fallen she thought dead also came to the battle with 6 wings!?

"Just what is going on here…" Nemain muttered, flying back while observing the new arrivals. "The Scion of the Phenex family, your appearance here is not that surprising. But the Fallen girl, Raynare if I recall correctly, weren't you supposed to be dead?" 

The goddess frowned, she focused on the people in front of her before recalling something. "Wait, I understand, it was that vile witch who kept you alive, she kept you away from death's door. How sweet of her, too bad it was wasted on someone like you." She spoke calmly, bringing the holy sword up.

Raynare fumed at her remarks while Riser just continued to smile arrogantly, even going so far as to elegantly bow to his enemy.

"The Goddess who personifies the frenzied havoc of war, I have heard of you from my brother during these recent years. Your encounter with my rival is well known by my family, yet I find it quite difficult to believe someone of your stature to use such dirty tactics in a fight."

"It is her nature," Vritra spoke, gaining their attention once again. "This is not the real Nemain, she is but an avatar sent by her true body. While Kokabiel managed to hide from the rest of the world, she cannot do so with her power and domain being a giant beacon to everyone else. Do not fear her, for you can take her current self on in a battle and win."

“Tch!”

The goddess frowned at the dismissal in his tone. It was clear that she wasn't being looked at as a threat. 

Meanwhile, Raynare just glared at Kokabiel, her gaze burning with hatred at the man.

"You sent me to my death, didn't you? You lied to me that Azazel would love me if I got myself a Sacred Gear! But none of that happened! He sold my soul to this bastard and all of this is because of you!" 

"Humph," he snorted, finally recovering enough to compose himself. "Do not talk with such a tone just because you got a little more wings, girl. Your own idiocy and devotion is to blame, as I never told you to kill the Red Dragon Emperor. You let your hatred for humanity guide your actions and as for the Twilight Healing… you were bound to die anyways." He said with a smirk, relishing in the shock and rage in her eyes.

"What!?"

"Sacred Gears are the creation Yahweh. Made for the sole purpose to serve humanity. They were never intended to be attached to a full-blooded Fallen or any species that weren’t at least part human. You are a true fallen, not a single part of you was human, to begin with. The process of binding Twilight Healing would have succeeded at first, but the system would recognise your nature and would have been seen as a bug and would fix the error — killing you in the process. That is why that invention was deemed a failure, not only because it caused the death of the original wielder, but also of the new host in case they weren't human."

Betrayal flashed in Raynare's eyes, she already knew the answer, but hearing the truth from some that was there when they were created just made it hurt more. All hopes to get on Azazel's good side were crushed, all because of him!