Chapter 17: Turning point part 1

Beta read by Shigiya

.

.

.

-?-

In his time dealing with the many hosts who have had the privilege and misfortune to wield him, he had dealt with hundreds and thousands. A variety of morals and values, from the worst wretched scum to the noblest of knights each carried a creed, a belief that they all agreed upon blindly and zealously.

Victory

Of course, they differed from one another, all had a different definition of winning. From the simplest of them all being survival to jumping in scale and involving the state of an entire kingdom, empire, or even the world. That was their main reason to rationalize their most despicable and reckless actions. All for the sake of safekeeping a life may it be their own or others, they were all the same.

He agreed with each of them and even came to expect such belief in all of his hosts. Deep down there was no dilemma or moral questioning, as it was the basic nature of all living kinds to thrive one way or another. Even the acquisition of power relied heavily on ambition and basic instincts, it was a constant and no exceptions existed that he knew of.

That was until he was awakened to the boy, to his new host, to his new partner, Hikigaya Hachiman.

He recognised those same qualities he witnessed a thousand times before in the boy. Self-sacrificing, protecting his family and close ones to some degree, while applying logic to his every action. His ethics were understandable and questionable at times, he adhered to them religiously.

His end objective should have been clear, survival.

Yet, that was not the case.

Doubt stained his soul and mind, and uncertainty festered and brewed in the darkest corner of his being. As a being attached to his soul, no secret could be hidden away from him, all answers should have been clear to him like looking through clear glass. Yet the boy's true self was foggy, he could feel everything yet he could not foresee the reasons behind such negative feelings.

The boy doubted his existence at a spiritual and physical level.

He was lost and kept on lying to himself.

He wasn't willing to die, yet he was hesitant to live. He had ambition, yes, but he did not know how to accomplish them or whether he even had the capabilities to achieve them. It was a chaotic mess, to be honest.

These were not changes, but rather a state of mind that existed long before he awakened, and that should not have been possible in such a young infant.

He saw residues of a heavy distrustful nature in the boy, a cynical person who had difficulties trusting others, let alone communicating his true thoughts.

From scavenging bits and pieces of the boy's past self, he could see him becoming a better person yet some aspects did not change.

'What does he desire?' That was the only question he kept asking himself. But no answers ever presented themselves.

He hid these details from his partner, choosing to observe rather than act, for he knew not the consequences of his possible meddling. If the boy could conquer these haunting thoughts to rest and earn the ability to accept himself then he would become not a wielder of the Prison Dragon, but THE Black Dragon King.

But it was too late, he was too late.

Betrayal for he became the victim, his trust and protection spat onto like a discarded piece of garbage. Indignity, regret, and terror were the sole emotions the boy had left. For a second time in his life, he let his emotions get the better of him which led him to be hurt in the end.