Chapter 8: I promise

Beta read by n1ch, Shigiya, Solitary heart and 8kagi.

.

.

.

-Warehouse-

I briefly triggered [Delete Field] when Bawler was approaching me with a punch ready to hit me in the face. Although his strength boost was gone, his momentum still had a lot of power.

"Hurg!" I brought up my arms up. The impact was strong enough to force my feet to slide across the concrete floor.

I gathered my strengthed and dashed in front of the monster and aimed for his head.

"You are-" Bawler began, catching my kick against his hands, and threw me across the room, breaking some wooden crates in the process, " Weak! Weaklings like you die!"

It took a bit of effort for me to get up, I had to thank Sona for giving me armor as a gift. Without it, my ribs would have been shattered. "Well forgive me for being weak, but that is why I'm fighting you in the first place, dumbass, to improve." After getting myself free from the rubble, I got back into my stance, "Come at me!"

Oof, I sounded like a douche.

Bawler rushed at me again just like before, but this time I had enough time to use my magic.

[Magic Arrow]

A single arrow-like projectile shot into his kneecaps, this spell might not be enough to kill strays like him, but it could still heavily injure them.

The monster fell headfirst onto the ground, allowing me to run forward and slam the heel of my foot on his skull, this time denting the floor and causing a bit of bleeding.

"Damn it."

The attack was not strong enough to knock him out sadly, so I retreated away from him when he got back up and shot down every source of light with more [Magic Arrow] spells, making the whole place too dark.

"Useless! Useless! I am a devil I can see everythin—''

He did not give him enough time to finish before I activated my Sacred Gear again, but this time it was different. I hadn't spent my last 5 years only training with spells and magic, but I also put a great deal of training with my gear. From countless experimentation and failed trials, I had come up with a variant ability.

[Delete Field] [Restrict]

Bawler was surrounded by a focused violet-colored dome that engulfed his entire body and nothing else. Unlike the last time, the effect did not cover the entire warehouse, but this variant approach allowed me to utilize a stronger form of [Delete Field] while slowing down my opponent for only a few seconds in a very narrow region.

This version allowed me to not only negate any powers or spells of an enemy but also temporarily disable their race's unique power. Night vision is one of the devil's natural abilities.

But this only worked against beings who are weaker magically compared to me. If it was someone who was way above my weight class, it would become useless.

Using my original spell [Absolute Silence] , I created a secondary dome of energy around Bawler, now he couldn't see nor hear me. "AAARRRGH! Where are you?! Where are you, weakling?! Insect! I will eat you alive!" That was what I thought he was saying, under the effect of my spell, no sound could even come out of his mouth.

I shot another [Magic arrow] to his second knee since he could neither see nor hear anything for the moment, the attack easily incapacitated him and brought him down on his knees, low enough for me to place my two fingers in a gun-like motion on his forehead.