Chapter 23: Interlude

Beta read by n1ch, Shigiya and Solitary heart.

.

.

.

-???-

I never knew that I would end up dancing with death so often, the horrible cold feeling of loneliness hit me hard. I could not remember how I had vanished from my previous reality, I may have died in an accident or even in my sleep — I would never know.

Nor did I care about it that much at this point, a bit curious but not enough that I would actively search for an answer.

This was why I wondered in what state I was currently, I didn't feel dead or alive. Just stuck in a constant state of limbo in total darkness. I lost my sense of touch, my sense of smell and I don't know even if I can see as everything was dark, I was probably blind as well for all I know.

"I**\[% prom(+#)! tra." 

I could still hear voices, all around me reverberating countless times. They were heavily distorted, like static, all just messed up jumbles of half-spoken words that I could barely understand, an amalgamation of gibberish that threatened to overwhelm me.

I wonder if I could speak? 

"Hel!_?£(" 

BZZttzz!

Shit! Did I break something by accident by talking!? 

A slight crack formed in front of me, bleeding out light in this darkness. I tried to touch it despite not knowing if I have limbs or not. The mere thought of moving my hand and grazing the light made reality around me change. Like a ripple that expanded continuously, I found myself in a new location.

'At least now I can see.' I thought to myself witnessing the breathtaking view in front of me.

I was on top of a snowy mountain, high above the clouds that blocked any sight of the ground below. The sky was clear with the Sun shining, yet I could not feel its warmth. Like an invisible glass surrounding me, I could neither feel the cold nor the heat of the elements. 

That was not what puzzled me the most. For whatever reason, everything looked small to me. This mountain that pushed beyond the clouds felt like a regular hill to me. Those dead trees in the distance looked like grass and the ground felt like loose sand despite it being nothing but boulders and rocks.

I looked down and saw my….tail?

.

.

.

Oh, oooh, snake-like body, check, tentacles, check, and a golden pattern that ran along the body, check. Giant body with my entire length being around hundreds of meters, check.

I was in Vritra's body!

"ROOAAAARRRRR!" A thundering roar escaped my mouth as I couldn't control it, the heavens trembled and the clouds below parted ways just from the sheer might! A single action of it made me realize just how majestic and overpowered dragons truly are.

Vritra didn't have wings as one would expect, instead of whip-like tentacles that came from my lower snake back. They moved in unison, creating a similar downward movement like wings which caused a large wind force!

I flew in the air beyond sonic speed, like a coiling dragon. I made many maneuvers that were beyond my skills in the sky before descending downwards towards the parted clouds. I slowly began feeling the rushing wind on my skin, the downforce, the excitement all bubbling up as my vision began further aligning with Vritra's. My being could see through his eyes, feeling what he was feeling.