Hidden from view

-Third POV-

"Queen to H8."

In the Occult Research Club, another chess match was taking place.

"Knight to G6, checkmate."

Unlike the previous matches two years before, this one ended in barely 10 minutes, which showed the vast gap that formed between the two players.

"...sigh I can't beat you in chess anymore, Hachiman." Said Rias, slumping in her chair in defeat.

Honestly, she was tired of trying to beat him. If this was two years before, her chances of winning would have been quite high, guaranteed even. The boy was a logical thinker, that alone made him a difficult opponent to defeat in the game. Now coupled with his ridiculous learning capabilities, victory was but a farfetched dream at this point.

"Can Sona even win a match against you?" Aside from herself, the heir of the Sitri house was probably the only person she could think of that had the glimmer of a chance to defeat him.

"Don't know, ever since we got locked in a standstill, she has been doing everything to avoid me playing another game. Whether it be if I visited the student council room, she would always take me somewhere else, to a mission, school inspections, and even tried to hide the chessboard from me." Her eyes widened in realisation. Oh right, she had completely forgotten about that rule Sona put together against her suitors; that she would marry anyone who wins over her in a game of chess

"At first I did not care much, but her reaction just makes me want to see what happens if I beat her in a game of -"

"No! You can't!" She was already losing against Akeno, Rias did not want to compete against Sona as well!

"Wha-what?"

Hachiman was caught off guard by Rias's sudden aggressive reply. He was even more unprepared when the girl with a frown on her face came to his chair and sat on his lap facing him. Her breast squished against his chest and her aroma invaded his nose. Their heads were just inches apart, her eyes still intensely staring at him.

"You listen to her, mister, it's fine for you to play chess with Sona, but don't you ever think of beating her in a match, get it!" Rias drove her point further by poking his chest continuously.

"O-Okay?" Said Hachiman, stuttering a bit from confusion. "Can I at least ask why?"

"We-well, it's because Sona set some rules on what would happen if someone beat her in chess. Trust me you wouldn't want to be the one." Rias tried to find the proper words to explain the situation to Hachiman. Sona had asked her to not make this matter known to people outside the devil circle. Of course, Hachiman was on their side, but then again a promise is a promise. If Sona herself hadn't revealed anything to him, so why should she?

A part of Rias just wanted to forget about the promise and just tell the truth to Hachiman, but that would be betraying the trust of her childhood friend.

"You know what? Forget it." Hachiman just sighed before picking up Rias in a bridal carry, earning a small yelp from the girl with a blushing red face, her arms unconsciously circled his neck as she gazed at him with a lost look...before dumping her unceremoniously on the couch. "Kya!"

He then walked to the windows and noticed a familiar face, hiding in the bushes outside the building. "By the way, do you know that boy's name?" He asked Rias who sported a cute pout.

He just couldn't stop messing with her.

"Oh him? I sent Akeno and Koneko to do some research on him, his name is Hyoudou Issei. A second-year student, who just entered the school this year, he along with his two other friends are quite infamous for their perverted nature and peeking at the kendo girls. Despite getting beaten several times they still have not backed down." According to Koneko, the boy had a slight scent of a dragon lingering around him. A dragon-based sacred gear most likely. "Fufufu, apparently Sona has been getting quite the headache dealing with them, she tried many times to expel them but was rejected on her demands."