Turning point part 6

If death had a voice, it would probably sound something like...

"Hachiman~"

Yeah, something like that.

Walking outside to the balcony for fresh air was a good decision. I knew this conversation wouldn't be easy, so I had put myself in a comfortable environment.

With the cold temperature outside and the illuminating Eiffel Tower shining in the background, I felt a sense of inner peace with the calm atmosphere. The sound of tree leaves rustling and the driving cars added to that experience.

"Hey Akeno-chan, I'm sure you're expecting some answers." My first plan of attack was to know what she knew beforehand. Did she know about Azazel or Baraquiel? Her timing also was worrying, as it happened just after the attack.

"I'm waiting~."

"Right, *sigh* Look, before we talk, I must make sure to clear up any sort of possible misunderstanding on your part. So, what do you know?" Nice, this was vague enough for her not to grow suspicious about anything.

"I heard from Rias, that you had some matters to attend to.  A certain 'past issue' with someone." Her voice seemed to strain at that last part. She obviously knew something was up. "Now tell me, what type of issue would require you to be gone all night yesterday?"

Has it been that long already? Oh right, France was a few hours behind Japan, so if it was nighttime here then..."Sorry, Akeno-chan things came up and I had to stay for longer."

"You're not in Japan, are you?" She said it more like a statement than a question.

"No, no I'm not. Listen... It's an important mission I'm on. Something that will heavily affect me. I can't say for certain how much longer I'll have to remain here, but I'll definitely be back before the weekend."

"..." Her line was silent, I knew she was still on the call, so I waited.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Azazel heading towards the door with his finger crossed gesturing to me 'good luck'. I just gave him a slight nod before he left the room, giving me a bit of privacy. For all his craziness, Azazel certainly knew how to read the mood.

"You really want to help whoever this is, huh?"

Yes, but not just Baraqiel, I wanted to help Jeanne in catching the monster as well and save the people. 'If my past self were to see me now, he would probably vomit.'

This was a stark contrast to the past me. Hiratsuka-sensei forced me to join the service club because she opposed my view of youth. Despite my utter dislike of my situation back then, my actions had shown otherwise.

I attempted to play the bad guy, I hurt the feelings of many, most of my methods not being healthy. But somehow it kept working as a mission failed successfully, people had their problem solved.

I was a socially awkward guy and a loner, I did everything to maintain that image, even if it hurt me. But looking back now, I could have been different.

The current me was more than willing to help others, to offer a helping hand when needed. Some of my quirks remained but I no longer tried my hardest to maintain an image.

I realised...

That I just didn't care anymore.

I just followed my heart, no longer afraid of falling, no longer caring for others. My past self may have said something like that but it would have been a lie.

Just like the rest, I used to always wear a mask as well.

I get rejected? No problem, I'll try again.