Blood Born- chapter 17

Start from the beginning

"Why Charlene?" Elizabeth asked.

"Because she's my lady-in-waiting. They couldn't get me so they went after her," I said angrily.

"What?" James asked.

"The Guild. You know this was them. Why else would someone be attacked at your father's birthday? Two people actually."

"I don't know, Evelyn."

"Will she be alright?" my mother asked.

"The lady should survive. She'll be in pain for some time, but she should be okay."

I nodded and tossed her ruined gown to the side. Picking up fresh linen, I dunked it into the hot water and wiped at the already-drying blood. Charlene's breathing was shallow and fast. I still didn't like how hot her skin felt.

"What about the fever?" I asked.

"We shall have to wait and see how her body fights it," the physician said."

"Can you give her something for it?"

"I have a few things I can try."

He pulled out a few vials and pouches of small pills. One after the other he applied the balms, had Charlene drink a vial, and slid a pill into her mouth. After a short while, she slept restlessly.

"Go to bed," James said, rubbing his eyes.

"I'm going to stay with her. At least until I know she's really going to be okay."

"You're not going to do anyone good if you're not resting. We're going to meet tomorrow to discuss the threat."

"The Guild," I said

"Yes. As much as we've tried to protect you from them, they've found you. They're not going to stop until you're dead," he said.

"They don't know about what happened to me yet," I whispered.

"I don't believe they have. I'm not sure what they know. I don't know who managed to infiltrate the castle."

"I'm staying here. We'll meet tomorrow." I accepted a chair from Elizabeth, sitting as she wrapped a blanket around my shoulders.

She pulled a second chair up to the other side of Charlene and held her other hand. "We'll both stay here."

"Charlene doesn't need to be alone."

"She's sleeping, Evelyn," my father said.

"And if mother ever got sick would you leave her?"

"No, but she's my wife. I love her."

"And Charlene is my friend. She's been with me every day since we were kids. I won't abandon her now." I put my head down on the bed and closed my eyes.

The discussion was over. I stayed with Charlene.

I awoke the following morning when the mattress on the bed moved a bit. I sat up and looked at Charlene who smiled at me.

"You're awake?" I asked.

"Don't look so surprised. I'm stronger than I look," she answered.

I leaped onto the bed, wrapping her in the tightest hug I could manage.

"My lady! I didn't know you worried so for me."

"Of course I do, you silly girl. You've been at my side since we were but children. I just never thought of you as being susceptible to harm."

"Neither did I. What happened?" she asked.

"You don't know?" Elizabeth queried.

"No." Charlene shook her head and furrowed her brow.