THE PAINTING

"Art is a beautiful door to different possible universes

"Art is a beautiful door to different possible universes."

- Isabella Pevensie

____________

"THIS IS THE MOST SERIOUS AND BORING GATHERING I HAVE EVER ATTENDED. PLEASE, LET US ESCAPE."

Spreading the beautiful fan my Father had gifted me, I started fanning myself as I continue to whine, "Please... I am going to die of boredom. I am completely and totally serious."

Susan, keeping on her smile, did not approve of my whining and decided to discretely kick me on my leg which cause me to wince from the small pain inflicted. Peter smirks but says nothing as the program continues been read out loud.

"Isabella, behave yourself," Father grunts as he reads the program alongside the speaker. It wasn't long until an associate of my Father had come to our section and whisper in his ear. Sighing, Father turned to us and excused himself before following the man.

The three of us simply exchanged glances, both Susan and I frowning as we were, once again, left behind by our Father. I knew he didn't do it intentionally but when we receive the news that we will be joining Father in the States, we thought it would be a new beginning, a new chapter for all of us.

And at first, it was interesting and entertaining to join these luxurious gatherings that Father seems to be invited to, but without him in our presence, it's as if he is never here.

Turning to look at Peter and Susan brought more comfort in my life and looking towards the sky, I knew we weren't alone in these new hard times because we had each other and I knew that Aslan was looking after all of us.

____________

A few weeks later, ironically, our mother was the one invited to a tea party. As soon as we received the notice, we were caught off guard as the tea parties were reserved for the exclusive members only. Meaning old money rich.

"How ever did you get an invitation to the British consuls tea party, Mum?" Peter asked, curious behind those blue eyes of his as he helped our mother with her grocery bags.

"I didn't even know that it was Mrs. Astor I was speaking to. And, poor dear, she seemed stressed about the event already and so I decided to approach her and help her out with some ideas. She loved them! And then she invited our family!"

Susan smiles at Mother's bubbly emotion as she helps her unpack the bags on one side, "Well, I am happy for you, Mother. This will certainly help Dad with his new business idea of his."

Looking at Susan, I remember her telling me that a Naval officer, one that we constantly see in many events Father gets invited to, invited Susan to the same tea party.

"Wait, didn't you get invited to the same tea party by that Naval officer. What his name again?"

Susan's eyes widen and she squints her eyes close as Mother turned to look at her with her brow arch, her expression becoming stern. My eyes widen as I wince out a "sorry". She must have not informed our parents yet.