*8* Avoiding The Depths

They look back and forth at each other. I wait, staring at them for an answer. My mother burst out with her fake tears crying, my father consoles her by patting her back as she sobs into his chest. It truly made me ill seeing her and her crocodile tears and my loving father being roped in by them and her. She is not crying for or Bradly, she is crying for attention.

"He is in jail right now. They found weed, 10 kilos of weed in his car under the passenger seat. They tried to arrest you on a conspiracy charge, but Bradly made them drop it by saying you knew nothing about the weed."

I know that he deals it, but that is how he got the car fixed. Nevertheless, that is I and his little secret. He deals weed for personal needs.

"Right," I say. I would not rat my brother out.

"What were you doing out of class yesterday anyway?" My mother asks her eyes now dry.

Damn, faker. I curse. "I was overwhelmed and needed time to think without the noise of school interrupting my thoughts."

"You could have called me." She says putting on that smile again trying to rope me into thinking I could rely on her.

"You were napping."

The fake smiles fades from her face, she looks as if she wants to jump on me and strangle the life out of me. I keep the emergency button in my hand, just in case she is feeling froggy. Around the time I usually leave for school, mother is normally knocked out from drinking and/or arguing with father all night about finances.

She pulls that fake smile again, "Of course. Cleaning up after three kids takes a lot out of me."

I arch my brow. Ms. Block cleans up after us and always has. So, no clue what my mother is speaking of or why she is lying to show off in front of father. Actually, I have never once even as a child seen her pick up a toilet brush or a broom.

"I wanted to talk to Bradly one on one and I did not know if he would have been home when I got home. I did not want to miss him. But, seeing as though I won't be able to see him for a while, that didn't really matter."

"You could have spoken to me, Sweetie." My mother chimes in once again with the fakeness of her charm.

I have got no clue what this woman's issue is. All of a sudden, she wants to try to be concerned and play the role of the caring and doting mother. Sweat rolls down my sides causing me to slightly flinch. My father jumps to my side. "Are you in pain?"

"No," I say quickly and try to move away from him but I cannot move too far because I can feel the sheets pulling threatening to expose my pain, also, I would fall off the bed. He stops as I tell him, "I am okay. Something . . . a string is all. It brushed up against me."