Ch. 1 - Delayed

I groaned at the sound of my blaring alarm clock. Although, I liked the song it played. I just hated getting up early in the morning for school. I lay there quietly listening to the loud music, until I heard my older sister pound a fist on my door and shout something. As usual. She hates my beautiful dubstep. I love annoying her. I smirked and sat up, leaning over to my left and turning off the clock. With that, I hopped off of the bed, my feet feeling puffy against the hardwood floor. I squinted through heavy eyelids and waddled over to my closet. I rubbed my eyes and blinked rapidly. '....thank GOD it's Friday....', I thought and grinned. I opened up the sliding doors and leaned in. I began shuffling through the array of shirts that were hung up together. In the end, I just pulled out a plain red t and slipped it on. I also found some dark jeans and my black hoodie. After getting dressed, I was mostly awake. I walked over to the door and opened it, hurrying out and down to the kitchen. I found my sister sitting at the table, texting someone on her phone. "Sup." I waved a hand, but I don't think she noticed. She glanced at me, then back down. "Oh, hey Ren. Did you sleep okay?" That irritating question again. "...yeah, yeah I slept fine. How about you?" I walked over to the fridge and pulled it open. "....huh, oh....yeah...." She was obviously too distracted for smalltalk. I just rolled my eyes and scanned the food on the shelves. My eyes settled on the last chocolate-covered doughnut we had. I smiled and grabbed it, shoving it into my mouth. I bit off a piece and turned around. "...hmph..." I swallowed. "...Yuka....what time is it?...." I asked her. She turned around to me in her chair with a worried expression. "Holy crap! I didn't even realize what time it was!!" She shouted and stood up, her blond ponytail bouncing as she took off to her own room upstairs. I grunted. "Thanks for answering my question!" I shouted sarcastically. I then remembered and looked over at the microwave. In bright green numbers on the side, the time read; 7:32 ......uh, oh...... My eyes widened and I bolted upstairs. I ran into my room and took my iPhone off of its charger, slipped on my red converse shoes, brushed through my short matted brown hair, then got my book bag and ran for the front door. I looked down at my phone. The time now read; 7:45 ... I am so gonna be late!! "Yuka!! I'm leaving!!" I yelped, then slammed the door behind me. With that, I ran for the sidewalk and hopped onto my bike, peddling as fast as I could toward the school. I just prayed that I wouldn't be late. It was strange, because I don't even care much about school. In fact.....I hate it.
~~~
I blasted through the doors and the empty hallways, straight for homeroom. I made a turn down a hall and found it. Just as I reached for the handle to the door, it opened slowly. I stopped and backed up an inch. I saw four slender, yet short, pale fingers grip the edge of the door. Then, a boy, about my age, poked his head out. His skin was ghostly pale, and his dark black hair draped messily over his deep brown eyes. I met his gaze awkwardly, and he didn't dare step out into the hall. I cleared my throat. "Erm....hi?" I gave a weak smile. The only bit of the boy's face I was able to see was his nose, and eyes. He replied almost too quietly. "...umm.....h-hi......" I looked around, clutching the sides of my backpack. "So, why is it so quiet around here? Where is everyone??" He flinched at my loud words, as if they'd hurt him. Then, he stepped hesitantly out in front of me. His eyes locked onto the ground and his hands now clutched his arms. He hid in his dark jacket, his white collar poking up around his neck. He was a couple inches shorter than me, and he seemed really fragile-looking. I stared at his plump pink lips as he spoke, mostly because he didn't seem to notice my gaze. "....d-didn't you h-hear that.....umm.....school is delayed t-three hours today....." After processing what he'd said, I mentally face-palmed. 'How could I forget something like that!? God, I'm an idiot!', I thought, dumbfounded. Heat rose to my cheeks suddenly in embarrassment. I sunk back. "Ah, geez! I forgot!....uuugghh.....I'm so stupid....." I rolled my eyes at myself, then looked back down at him. I noticed him staring, and he instantly averted his eyes. He took a step back. We stood there quietly for a minute. "...so...erm.....what are you doing at school this early? I mean, since you knew we had a delay and all." I waited. He hid his eyes under his hair. "U-uhm.....I-I help with the....a-art and photography club....I come really early to, uh.....check up on a few things....." I raised my eyebrows. "Really? Cool, I guess. I don't really draw much, or take pictures.....but yah know how it goes....uh....I'm Ren. Ren Karishima.....what's your name?" I gave a kind smile. He looked up at me, but didn't return the smile. "...I'm.....Takashi Ezoto......" It took me a second to recognize his name. "Oh! Aren't you that new kid? I mean....you've been here for about a month or so, but I don't really memorize faces." Takashi gave a slow nod. I grinned. "Well, it was nice to meet you, Takashi." He then looked at me again. His eyes lingered for a minute as he studied my face. I then gave a friendly laugh. "Well I guess I'll see yah later, then. I'm gonna go get a coffee.....bye!" I grinned one last time, then left the boy standing alone in the hallway as I hurried for the front of the school.