Chapter Thirty-Three

It was unlike my brother to ever get shot, there have been very few occasions however they both came from the same hand of my father who insisted on training him up to be a 'proper man' and ever since those two days he has never been touched by a bullet. Not even a close call. 

My father has always been harsh on the two of us growing up, I suppose that its wat you get when you are born from a Mafia leader. My brother was subjected to most of the abuse, since he was to be the one taking the lead when he retired, I still experienced some but nowhere near as much as he had. I was the brains of the operation; tracking was or still is my expertise and I did not mind that since it gave me to opportunity to hide away from the death and killing. Of course, my father would not let me of that easily and I still had to partake but ever since Giovanni has taken over, I have not had to touch a gun since. Still, I could defend myself If I ever needed to. 

Giovanni was stupid to think that his lead tracker would be unable to find an easy target as V.  But now standing in her shoes I know how she feels and although I know it is going against family, I don't want to send her back to hell that she was living in before. 

I know my brother the good and the bad side, and I know that the only side that he shows to her is the bad. That is a side that I never want to see again in my life, it's the cold-hearted killer in him. 

Now my brother lays in the hospital bed looking tired and defeated, tears threat to spill but with both my father and Lerenzo nearby I know that I cannot let that happen. The doctor seems stressed his eyes never meeting mine, and I know that the news is not going to be good. 

"What is it?" My father finally snaps at the doctor who looks up from his sheet of paper and relocates his glasses before gathering the nerve to speak to my father. 

"I am sorry to have to tell you this, even with the best of our care you son has a 15% survival rate. We have manged to remove all the bullets as you know, but some hit major veins and arteries it all depends on the strength of his body. It would be a good idea to call family to say their goodbyes just in case." He stutters slightly as my father grew angrier at each word. 

"If he dies you die." He manages to spit towards the doctor who take this as he que to leave hurrying out the door. 

"Father, you know he is right; mother should come and see him, V should wish her goodbyes. It is important for him to be surrounded with those that he loves." I state as my father directs his anger at my head this time, however, says nothing. 

Just like the doctor I decide to leave knowing that V should know about the news even if she did not want to come and see her. I ring the home phone where she is staying, and it is only a matter of minutes before she answers, she is not speaking but I can hear her breathing. 

"Hello..." She tails of as I debeate weather to tell her the news.

"V it's Lily." although I can't see her, I know she is frozen in fear, over the fact that she has been caught. "Don't hang up, I'm not here about my brother... Well, I am but not for the reason you are thinking." I allow her to process the information and the shock. 

"Listen he is in critical condition and the doctor does not think there is much chance of survival, I wanted to let you know so that you have the option to come and see him if you wish." I say as tears start dribbling down my face, I can here V starting to get emotional however she says nothing. 

"I can't Lilly I am sorry..." She trails of as she ends the phone call leaving me stood in the hospital ward as patients and nurses walk past staring at me. The whole smell of the setting makes me feel weezy and I grab a bottle of water from the vending machine to try and settle my stomach. 

Lorenzo decides that this is the best moment to come and find me, his eyes looking curious as he heads towards me. "Who where you on the phone to?" He asks as I shake my head and swallow the water in my mouth. 

"No one important." I state as my father emerges from the hospital room, talking aggressively on the phone and heading straight to the exit, not even acknowledging me.

"Lerenzo come with me." He snaps as he rushes to catch up with my father leaving me to head back to Giovanni who is still attached to wires and cables. I pull the chair closer to him thinking about what I want to say but nothing comes to my head. 

My phone rings once again and of course I answer it not bothering to check who is calling. "Hello?" I ask as there is silence. 

"I forgot to ask you a favour Lily." V speaks from the end of the phone; I was surprised she had called back all things considered. "Please I know you know where I am. Whatever you do please... please don't tell him." She begs and I hear the breaking of her voice making my heart drop slightly, she seems so scared of him. 

However, as I was focusing on the conversation, I did not notice that Giovanni had awoken, and although he is very drowsy, he still heard her voice, letting out a verry aggravated growl.