Chapter Twenty-Three

The last few days had been tedious and boring, Giovanni had hardly been home, and like before we had hardly spoken since the whole situation in the bathroom. I had been forced to have a bodyguard practically attached next to me, only when I showered was, he not in the same room as me. 

He was an older man, bald and had wrinkles near the crease of his eyes, that is most likely why Giovanni picked him as there was a lower chance of him trying anything with me. I had tried to leave the house a few times, weather it was to go on a walk or to try and pick up a few shifts at the hospital however he had stopped me and told me that he had to get permission from Giovanni first.

 Such a control freak.

I had spoken to Mia briefly on the phone; however, she recently met a new guy, and they have been travelling together ever since the wedding. From what she has described he seems nice enough, however I know she will end up back with Luke like she always does. 

It was only today that the bodyguard did not turn up, and it was only because Giovanni was staying at home. The good thing about this is he ignores me like the plague, and therefore escaping the bloody house will be easy. 

I had eaten a small breakfast early in the morning, however packed snacks in my handbag for later in case I get hungry on my exploration. I'm not planning on going far, only through the village to have a look what is around, and maybe pop my head in the hospital If I have time. I have figured that a most I have around an hour before he sends the patrol looking for me.  

I slipped out the back door, and followed the footpath to the main road, for at least half a mile there is nothing around the house, expect trees and wildlife. There are never any cars on the road nearby, and in some settings, you are able to see the boarder that keeps us all trapped in.

 Being six months pregnant and waling this far is causing me to be heavily out of brief and I wish there was a way I could get dropped into the village rather than having to walk. However, that was never going to happen without Giovanni's approval, and I very much doubt that he would allow that. 

It felt like forever before the sight of the village came into view, all of the shops and cafes are all open and there a few people browsing around. I had of course stolen some money of Giovanni; well, he had left it on the side, so I guess it does not count as stealing, only enough to buy myself a drink. 

The first shop that I looked in was a bookshop, it was very much like a library the only difference being you have to pay for the books of course. I looked around all of the sections, some of the baby's name books sparked my attention however I decided that I would rather kill the time by being stuck in a proper story. It wasn't long before I found a romantic novel, it is a hardback book, and had previously been loved before, which is why it was so cheap. 

I decided that once I had finished it I could re donate it to the shop, and buy another one, I had 3 months before baby arrived and had to kill time before I turned crazy in that house. The lady at the till smiled towards me as I handed her the book, her eyes staring at me before entering the amount on the till. I slid her the money, as she glanced at me again before quickly giving me back the change.

I have found that in every one of Giovanni's villages they have seemed to notice me almost instantly, and that almost every time they are in disbelief that I am in their shop. I thanked her before leaving and retreating to the local coffee shop to burry my head into the book and pretend the world did not exist. 

Like the bookshop, the workers at the till starred at me and I could tell that they were talking to one another about my entry. Of course, it did not bother me, maybe they were laughing about the fact that I got knocked up by that asshole's baby, or maybe they were jealous either way I do not care.

"What can I get for you?" The cashier asks as she offers me a warm smile, however I can sense the nerves behind her voice. I return the smile not wanting her to get the impression that I am a complete and utter bitch.

"Just a large hot chocolate please." I respond as she nods her head and starts making the hot drink. Her manger comes towards her and mutters something in her ear quietly before going and taking the other people's orders waiting. 

The girl slides the hot chocolate towards me, it looks like a diabetic heaven, cream and mash mallows float in the top, and I can see the steam still rising from it. The women turn her back on me starting to make the other individuals drink as I wait patiently to pay, it wasn't long until I caught her attention again, however. 

"Is everything alright?" She asks even more worried than before as I offer her a smile. 

"Yes, it looks great however I just need to pay." I respond as she smiles slightly again and shakes her head. 

"There is no need, you are Mr Giovanni's wife. "She states as I roll my eyes slightly before offering her the money. 

"Well then here is you tip." I say as I pass it towards her, she looks in shock as I take the hot chocolate and seat myself by the window, opening the first page of the book. 

The book is about a couple, who meet one another and fall in love, however they both have their own secrets. One is a detective and the other well... it wouldn't be a secret if I told you.

However, I got so wrapped up in their story that I had not realised how long I been sitting ready, or the fact that I had only drank half of my drink. The book was truly captivating and easily over two hours had gone passed, it was only when the sound of the cafe door opened and everyone went silent did, I glance at my watch. "Yes, you have been gone a long time."    

A familiar voice says pretty much reading my mind, it was only then did I look up and realise why everyone had gone silent. It was Giovanni. However, he did not seem bothered or angry that I had left by myself instead he sat down across from me as one of the waitresses came over immediately and asked for his order. Of course, he picked a black coffee to match his black heart, and I ordered myself a cup of tea knowing that I wouldn't be able to handle another hot chocolate.  

There was no talking between the two of us, he was fixated on his phone, and I had gone back to reading my book, however it was much harder to get lost in it as I felt the eyes of nosy people burning on my back. It was only when the waitress came over that I decided to put the book down. 

"Well, it seems like for once you haven't found yourself trouble." He says as a smile slightly and take a sip from my drink. 

"Well, I'm not sure about that, I'm pretty sure I am in trouble for leaving the house in the first place." I say as I shoot him a questioning look, for the first time in a while he offers me a slight smile before standing up grabbing his coffee.

"Let's go there are too many nosey people here." He says as I follow him out to the shop and towards his car, I have a feeling for some reason or another that he has something to tell me.