Chapter Twenty-Six

The morning had come round, and the events of last night made me cringe slightly as I thought about how stupid and reckless, I had been pulling a gun on a mafia man. However today was a new day, I get to see my baby and see how much she has grown. I have reached the seven-month mark, which means in 3 months little baby is going to be with us. 

Of course, Giovanni was sat downstairs drinking a coffee and staring at his phone, he ignored my presence which was not usual for him. "I have a doctor's appointment today; can you take me?" I ask as he states at me blankly. 

"You have legs, no? You can walk." He states as I nod my head and grab some fruit for my not so long walk to the hospital. I swear this man is not okay, one day he wants to protect me, the next he could not care if I was in mars. I make sure to slam the door shut as I follow the path into town, looking over my shoulder to check that Giovanni is not following me.  

The doctors were less busy than usual, of course the doctor rushed me directly into his room as soon as I arrived like I was some sort of royalty. I knew there was something wrong immediately as he had worry lines drawn across his forehead, and he was playing with his hands. 

"Is everything okay?" I ask him which made me want to laugh slightly as he should be the one asking me that. 

"Yes, yes everything is fine.  I have been meaning to tell you this for a while, however I don't want to stress you out." That sentence instantly made me begin to worry as my eyes glared towards him begging him to hurry up and say whatever he needed to. "Listen we all know in this village what Giovanni does. We all know that he is not a family man, and I believed well... If I told you and Giovanni that you were having a girl, he might let you leave. Of course, that hasn't worked, V you are having a boy." 

That sentence made my entire heart drop out of my chest and I felt tears threatening to fall, as I stared at the doctor in disbelief. Having a boy meant that he would be forced to follow in the footsteps of his father and one take on the role of Mafia leader. 

There is not a single chance in hell that I would allow that to happen, never in a million years, I will protect my child at any costs even if it means I might get hurt in the process. He will not grow up anything like his father or have to be exposed to all of the violence. "Thank you." 

I say as offer him a smile and walk away, there was no point doing the exam I will book it up to do again in a week or two, right now I have bigger things to focus on. Escaping Giovanni's clutches.

During the walk home I went through every single excuse and plan to be able to leave even thoughts of blackmail crossed my mind, however each and everyone did not seem as though it was going to work. A plan needs to be created before baby is born. 

As soon as I arrived at the house, I started packing my bags and baby stuff into boxes, Giovani was nowhere to be seen, which was good as it left him no opportunity to come and harass me, however that only lasted for a matter of minutes as the front door opened and Giovanni stormed up the steps and into the bedroom.

"What exactly are you doing?" He asks as I zip up the final bag and perch on the bed. 

"Giovanni, I know I said a year, but I can't do this anymore it is not good for me or the baby. I will still attend everything that you need me for and bring the baby around. I will do anything for you to let me go home." I watch as Giovanni's expression change and his eyes stare deep into mine, and I anxiously wait for his decision. 

"No." That was his exact words not even bothering to consider my feelings or emotions, and I debated taking my stuff and running however he has to agree to me leaving otherwise he will only go and chase me down again. 

"Giovanni please since being here I have tried to end my life numerous times; it has affected the baby all the medication I took. She will have a disability and she won't understand that guns are dangerous, or other man are. They will take her she is an easy target." I took a pause for a moment to allow him to take all the information in. " She will also need to attend a special needs school, there is not one here but there is one next to my house. I am not saying this to be difficult I am saying this to protect our child. So, I am begging you please let me go back home where I can care for her properly." Giovanni's eyes where expressionless and I crossed my fingers tightly behind my back praying that my lie was going to work. He continues to not say anything as he sits on the edge of the bed playing with his gun in his hand. 

"I have rules to allow this to happen, you have to attend every event that my parents invite us to, and you must allow me to see her at least once a month." I nod my head in agreement desperate for him to let me leave. "Thats fine, you can leave but my men will still be watching you so no funny business, no running or moving without my knowledge, no random guys."

I nod my head again in agreement as I watched him pull his hands out of his pocket and retrieve a wad of cash which he hands to me. "To help pay for things for her." He states as he also hands me a set of car keys which I take gratefully. And just like that he stands up and disappears out the door. 

I start loading up the black SUV that he gave me the keys to, making sure to bring the cot and all the toys and clothes that we had brought in preparation. I was honestly so shocked that he had allowed me to leave like that, I suppose the whole lie really had worked. As I started the car I looked back at his huge house and smiled, I am officially free of this place....

No more Giovanni.

Just me and my son.