Just A little Closer

Anna

Rushing out the sitting room I ran smack dab into Phoebe. Luckily her fast reflexes allowed her to catch the cup before it fell to pieces. The look on her face told me she wanted to say some not so nice words to me, but instead she smiled. "Do you need anything Miss Anna?"

Bowing my head slightly I quickly apologized on behalf of Corbyn's mother. I knew she wasn't expecting that and stammered telling me it was fine and not to bow to a servant. "I want to apologize because how Cordelia treats you isn't right and you deserve some respect."

She then shhhh me and made a following motion with her hand. I quietly trailed behind her and noticed she had green like scales painting her neck. She reminded me of the green garden snakes that I used to catch in our garden back home.

I spell of homesickness washed over me as I remembered how much fun I had catching them and the scolding's I received from mother when I brought them in the house as pets. I once again slammed into Phoebe and we both went flying to the floor. For some reason she laughed hysterically at my clumsiness.

"What why are you laughing?'' I asked quizzically. I had no idea why I practically threw us into the hard floor and she's over here dying of laughter. "I'm ....I'm laughing because every time people describe purebloods they talk about how distinguished and regal you are. Hahahaha you're nothing like that you basically trip over your own feet."

Her laugh reminded me of the sound a goat makes, it didn't fit her scaled appearance. Finally she caught her breath, "I haven't laughed like that in ages well at least since I started working here." She said after some thought. I felt like I should've been offended at Phebe's last statement. However I couldn't be mad at the facts I was nowhere regal and I don't even know if I could spell distinguished.

"This is the only place in the entire house where we can talk without being heard by them." She said "By them you mean Cordelia and her daughters." Quickly she shook her head up and down, "Don't forget little Roderick." Looking around I realized we were in the large kitchen. Mother would love this place. She wouldn't have to bring in water from the well because water ran straight from the faucet.

"Yep Master Marshall told me Lady Cordelia had this place sound proofed because she hated the sound of banging pots." She revealed to me. A silent oh escaped from my mouth. "I want to thank you for apologizing to me and considering my feelings." "Your welcome," I said "Besides you better be getting back from the bathroom before someone checks in on you."

"How'd you know that what I told them to speak with you?" "That's the only reason you would speak to the help." She said matter of factly. "Oh and take a right at the first hallway you see and then keep straight till you see the front door and take a left." With she turned and got back to work.

Going back down the hallway a noticed a lit room deciding to through caution to the wind I peeped inside. It was entirely empty except for a box looking thing that a horn protruded from. I was going to step inside fully but something told me not and I continued on my way.

Making my way back into the sitting room I received a curious look from Cordelia, but I guess threw an "I wasn't doing anything" smile in her direction. After sitting back down Phoebe came back in a few minutes later. She set the food back down and refilled our empty cups. Reported to Cordelia how her youngest is doing and promptly left. I wondered what Roderick, the youngest, looks like. I remember Cordelia said he had onyx eyes like the rest of his siblings. That they got from their father.