Eating My Words

Eating My Words

Anna

I'm falling, falling, falling. Deeper and deeper into a never-ending abyss. I wonder if I will ever stop falling maybe, I'll soon meet the sweet bottom of this abyss. I know I'm dreaming because I've dreamt this dream a thousand times.

All my dreams end with me falling falling falling. Before my descent into this pit, I was dreaming that Corbyn was confessing his feelings of love for me. However, I realized that his love was not for me but for my blood and my fall started as soon as he plunge those fangs of his into my neck.

I woke up with a start, gasping for a breath that would not come. Gazing around I realized we were still in the dark of morning mother, father, and Bella still fast asleep. I looked around searching for any sign of Corbyn; once again, he was nowhere to be found.

Quietly I got up and stretched my legs. Taking a deep breath, I gazed around and looked at the forest that surrounded me. Dark and looming it seemed, but I knew the truth it was bursting with life. This is what I wanted to be free from that boundary line.

Walking away from my campsite, I made sure to remember where I'm coming from. Probably best I not get lost in this large forest alone. Dragging my hand amongst the low laying plants, I picked a lovely flower that beckoned me with its intoxicating scent.

Suddenly I heard a rustle in the trees and I froze. Peeking from behind a tree, I saw a sight that took my breath away. Corbyn was feeding from what looked like a deer. His backed was turned to me so I could only see the gleam of his blood soaked fangs that revealed themselves from the deer's neck.

Trying not to alert him of my presence I quickly hightailed it back to the campsite. Soft beams of sunlight found their way through the thick canopy of the forest and cast an angelic glow on my sister's face.

Laying back down on my mat, I try to calm my beating heart and process what I just saw. Oh, my mystics I just Corbyn feeding never in my life did I ever think I'd see a vampire feed. My book told me that a vampire's feeding time is very intimate. I just watched him feed I felt that if my heart beat any faster I'd die.

Fitfully I fell back to sleep only to be awoken moments later by my mother. "Will you just wake up already? It's time to get moving and you're holding us up," Mother screeched into my face.

"Gwendolyn give the girl a break she just woke up." Father calmly stated. "Hmph! Peter dear, me and the girls shall go down by the river to wash off and change dresses." Mother said, "No can do dear. No times for that just rinse quickly and switch dresses."

"But, Peter that will not do. We are ladies and I will not stand for smelling Anna's stink when she doesn't wash up." "Wow thanks mom. I'm sure Corbyn didn't need to know that I smell," I said with a glare.

Mother didn't acknowledge my comment, but continuing badgering my father about not properly being able to wash. Father didn't budge on his decision saying that next stop we'll be able to wash.

With a defeated sigh mother walked us down to a river where we rinsed and changed quickly. Not having time to rebraid my hair, I took it out from yesterday's braid and was left with waves that could rival my sister's.

Once we returned we continued on our journey to the capital to see our ailing grandmamma Magnolia. I hurried to catch up with Corbyn so we could finish our midnight conversation from last night, but he seems to be avoiding me. As soon as I reached out to pat his shoulder, his quickly started a conversation with father. Leaving me to walk with mother.

"Your hair looks nice. I knew as soon as you took out those awful braids your hair would be lovely." Mother stated with a smug smile obliviously pleased with my new look. "Thank you mother," I muttered and walked on my own to converse with my thoughts.

It was as if Corbyn had forgotten all about his promise to tell me about the mistakes in my book of legends. After finishing his conversation with father his started speaking to Arabella. Most likely complementing her because of the faint blush on her cheeks.

Then he moved on to mother and when we stopped for our water break, he continued his conversation with Bella. Gah! Why is this dumb vampire making me so anger over one little promise? My head was starting to pound from the heat that surrounded us during our walking.

My feet were hurting, but I kept walking not wanting to slow us down. Once again, lady luck wasn't on my side and I tripped over a tree branch and tumbled to the ground. I had a flash of the marketplace and squeezed my eyes shut.

"Anna! Anna! Open your eyes are you alright?" Cracking my eyes open I looked into the black pools of Corbyn's eyes. My muscles stayed tense till I felt Bella's soothing touch on my back and I relaxed them.

Corbyn looked me up and down confirming that I was all right and moved away so that father could help me up. I thanked him and dusted myself off. "Take it slow Anna you frightened us there for a moment. You weren't responding for a second there," father said worriedly.

"I'm fine. I just had a little moment that's all." I quickly mumbled out. We took a little break for my sake and continued once again. Corbyn stayed close making sure I didn't have another accident. "I see you're not busy anymore," Corbyn gave me a puzzled look.

"Don't play dumb you know exactly what you've been doing," I hissed out "Miss Anna I can assure you I don't." "My book, you said we were going to discuss my book." A look of realization crossed his face. "Oh yeah I forgot about that." Corbyn said with a simple shrug of his shoulder.

Boy did I feel like a dumb kid and my face lit up in embarrassment. Here I was thinking and analyzing our midnight conversation and he totally forgot. He doesn't even care I felt sick to my stomach.

Taking in my flustered appearance he quickly started his view on the books mistakes. "The first problem is the title, Book of Legends how is old is that thing?" Truthfully, I didn't know father just brought it for me sense he knows my fascination with supernaturals. "I mean I'm a real live breathing vampire not some old dusty corpse."

"I read that vampires don't have a heart." "Not true I have a heart," "Does it beat," I hurriedly asked before he moved on to his next point. "Yes, not as fast as yours does though," he must of saw my dumbstruck face because he elaborated that a full breed vampire's heart beats but slowly. Slow and steady he said.

"So hybrids with a close bloodline to vampires beats slowly too" "No theirs beats normally because they aren't full breeds." He stated. "Alright what about garlic and blessed water do those affect you." Corbyn gave my question some thought and carefully answered.

"Vampire's aren't affected by that, but I have heard that the vampires of day's past were. Before intermixing of different supernaturals species, though I don't know why." We continued to walk I thought about this new info on vampires from Corbyn.

One thought kept nagging my thoughts and I decided that now was the time to ask. So as the moon was staring to rise I asked.

"Do vampires really regard feeding as an intimate not to be seen by anyone but themselves or partners," I quickly rushed out slightly lowering my head so my hair can block the blush emerging on my face. Corbyn was quiet. Oh no I hope I haven't offended him and just when I felt we were getting along.

I stole a quick glance at his face and was relieved when I saw a look of amusement there. I could him the smirk in his voice, "I wouldn't say that, but it is slightly personal. I guess it just depends on the vampire. Me I don't care I'm drinking what helps me stay alive. Just like you eat and drink to continue living."

Then I said something I wish I hadn't. "Oh that's great cause I saw you drinking from that deer this morning," just one look at his face made me wish that the ground would just swallow me.

He opened his mouth, but quickly shut it and tensed his body. The atmosphere around us shifted suddenly and the woods that surrounded us seemed to be our enemy.

Corbyn looked to be smelling for something and straining his ears. He hissed for all of us to get behind him.

Suddenly a string of curse words left his mouth and a blur of grey flashed in front of my eyes. As the blur headed for Corbyn I heard a scream that was my own and growls that seemed to come from all around us.

The girl in the picture is sorta my idea on what Anna looks like