Chapter 55

*Important~! I've added a part at the end so if you've already read this chapter skip down to the part you haven't read yet~*

Ava could see a muscle in his jaw tick as he'd said it. It made her worry about whatever it was he wanted to discuss, if discussing it was even his intention at all.

There wasn't much to do except watch him storm off and with a sigh, she dropped back into the couch. It was funny how she'd felt so at home in this place at one point. The furnishing around her was the same yet her feelings about the place were not.

From deep within the estate, she heard a crash and a bang which made her jump up. Her heart started beating faster as she debated on what she should do. She could go have a look when Sébastien specifically asked her to stay here or she could simply leave.

But she knew she couldn't leave if there was a possibility Sébastien had gotten hurt. She didn't care much for the other man, but she had to check regardless.

Carefully, she made her way to the all-too-familiar servant's quarters without being hurt. She'd only peek inside and then make her escape again.

As the hallway came into sight she could hear shouting as well as a woman's voice, who she could imagine was Jane. Ava had forgotten about her but it made sense she was there as well since she was visiting Mr. Olson.

She had no idea what she was getting herself into and feared she had caused yet another fight. Despair flooded her mind at that thought. Why had she even come here in the first place? It hadn't been to cause more pain and drama yet that's exactly what happened here.

Things never seemed to work out the way she wanted them to. It was like the universe was telling her to go fuck herself over and over again.

She willed her feet to keep moving forward even when she didn't want to anymore. After turning the corner the scene unfolded in front of her.

Sébastien had grasped the scruff of the older man's neck and was speaking quickly and heatedly. Jane held on to one of Sébastien's arms as she pleaded for him to calm down. Unsuccessfully.

Ava couldn't hear what was being said but by the look on Mr. Olson's face, it wouldn't have been anything pleasant. The muscles in Sébastien's back were visible from under his shirt and she could see how tense he was. It seemed to take him a lot of effort to restrain himself before he pushed the man away from him.

With a loud 'thud', the man fell on his behind. It took him less than a second to jump to his feet to create a bit of distance between him and Sébastien and Ava could see that he was afraid. It was a look she didn't mind seeing on the old man.

Sébastien also roughly shoved Jane away, who was still clinging to his arm but managed to stay upright. Tears streamed down her face but to her credit, she didn't say anything.

"Get out," Sébastien ground out. But while the old man scrambled toward the door Jane stepped toward him again. "GET OUT," he boomed at her. The sound even shook Ava a bit as she hadn't expected him to react this way.

The way his shoulders heaved up and down from his ragged breathing made her a little weary of what to do next. He was obviously not happy about whatever had transpired between the three of them but she had missed the actual context of the situation.

She waited for a second to let him cool down before stepping forward. "Sébastien? What's going on?"

"I'm sorry," he started while staring down at his hands. "I should've seen what was going on. I don't know why it took me this long to realize."