Chapter 9

Ding

The bell above the door of the library never failed to make the librarian look up and forced Ava to quietly wave at the woman before walking the other way. It just felt inappropriate to yell a 'hello' in the quietness of the little library.

For some reason, it seemed like it rained in this place for the better part of the year and she was slowly getting used to arriving at her destination drenched. The carpeted library floor prevented her shoes from squeaking but her hair was dripping wet.

Before she left, however, she'd made sure to wrap the books in a plastic bag inside her normal bag, keeping them dry. The last thing she needed was to ruin a bunch of library books and get banned from the only library in town.

"Heya, Ava!" she heard from across the aisle. Everly was seated at one of the reading tables at the back and waved enthusiastically at her.

"Hey, Everly," she smiled back as she approached the table, earning her a gasp from Everly. "What happened to you? Ever heard of an umbrella?" she asked, referring to Ava's currently dripping state.

Of course, she'd heard of an umbrella, she just didn't have one.

"I have, as a matter of fact," she replied. "I just forgot it and then it started raining." It wasn't technically a lie, she'd left a bit before it had started to pour but it wasn't like she didn't know it was going to. It had been raining all day.

"Oh, yeah. Hate when that happens," Everly nodded gravely. "Well, take a seat and warm yourself up because the book club is in session, babey!"

Time flies when you're having fun really held true, Ava found out. After explaining what had happened to her hands and assuring Everly she was fine she confessed that she'd read all of the books in the stack, impressing Everly. She'd only read the one Ava had recommended because she'd been working double shifts all week.

They spent the entire afternoon obsessing over the books and discussing the characters when Everly suddenly gasped, "I have to be home in five minutes," she said, obviously stressed. "I'm so sorry, Ava, I have to go. I'll pick up that book you recommended later," she promised.

"It's fine," Ava said, "Go, or you'll be late."

"Right, same time next week?"

"Sounds good."

"Alright, talk to you later then, bye!" With a smile thrown over her shoulder and a small wave, Everly took off. Ava stared after her for a moment while struggling to hide her smile. It had been the most fun she'd had in ages and she already wished it was next week.

The books in front of her would have to be returned and she gathered them all to take them back to the librarian. She would take them back herself but she didn't want to offend the nice woman or make a mistake in putting them back.

Next, she set off to find the book Averly had mentioned. It was a new adult book and usually, she wasn't into those. But she really wanted Everly to like her so she grabbed it anyway. She grabbed a few more books before checking them out and carefully placed them back into the plastic bag before bidding her goodbyes to Ms. Jones, the librarian.

As she stepped outside she got hit with a blast of cold air and icy rain against her face. With a sigh, she braced herself for the walk back again. Her simple jean jacket was no match to the winter cold and she hadn't even turned the corner before violent shivers ran across her body.

She did wear two shirts to be warmer, though it barely helped. In order to leave the town, she had to walk across a bridge that always seemed to be windier than anything else in the area. It wasn't particularly long but she still made her feet go faster. The trees formed a protective barrier against the wind and she released a sigh once she reached them.