Chapter 19

Finding something to clean in the apartment was a chore by itself. It was clear he didn't spend that much time actually being there so pretty much nothing got ever dirty. The whole day was spent cleaning things that obviously weren't used much.

This made her think of the rooms he did have to use, which were mainly the kitchen, his bedroom, and his bathroom. The last one seemed like a good start to her so she gathered her supplies and set to work.

It took her less than two hours before she couldn't think of a single spot she could've missed, and she still had an hour or two to fill.

Why he had requested her presence was beyond her but it didn't do her well to keep thinking about it. Everything he did was a mystery to her and she wasn't great at reading people to start with.

She supposed she could wash his bedsheets again, even though she'd also done that the day before. But it would keep her busy so she walked over to the large king-sized bed to pull off the sheets.

"Maid!" a shrill, high-pitched voice yelled from downstairs which made Ava almost drop the duvet on the floor.

She could imagine who the voice belonged to and dread filled her. She quickly pushed it down as she reminded herself not to judge a book by its cover. Or in this instance, a person by a five-minute conversation.

"Couldn't have taken you longer to get here," the woman Sébastien had referred to as 'Alice' told her as a way of greeting. It didn't sit well with Ava and she briefly wondered what her relationship with him was.

It didn't really matter, she decided. She was his guest so Ava would have to remain polite and helpful at all times. And besides, this woman picked the clothes she'd been given. She couldn't be that bad, maybe it was just the way she spoke.

"I'm sorry," Ava panted as she reached the bottom of the stairs. "Alice, was it?"

"It's Ms. Moore to you," she snapped back. "I brought Sébastien's groceries for this week so go put those away," she ordered while moving towards the living room, leaving Ava to stare after her.

It was hardly anything she wasn't used to but it still wasn't pleasant to be spoken to this way.

"Yes, Ms. Moore. Right away," Ava replied robotically while eyeing the woman who made herself at home on the large leather sofa.

With a soft sigh, she heaved up the bags and carried them to the kitchen where she put away the items. She'd wondered before if he got his own groceries, and now she'd gotten her answer.

Seeing as he was mostly at work, it didn't surprise her to see that he didn't have the time to do it himself. From the corner of her eyes, she glanced at the woman lounging on the sofa and wondered why she was still there.

She was so fixated on her phone that she didn't even notice Ava who stood awkwardly waiting for her to notice her. After a few minutes, she decided to grow a pair and speak up.

"Um, Ms. Moore?"

Steely cold blue eyes snapped up at her and she noticed her nose scrunching ever so slightly in disgust. "What?"

"Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Took you long enough to ask," she replied in a derogatory tone without looking away from her phone. "Make me a latte."

"I don't know how to make that," Ava admitted quietly.

"What, are you stupid or something? It's just a latte. Never mind, just get me some water."

Ava felt tears prick at the corner of her eyes, there was so much she didn't know how to do and it was only a matter of time before someone called her out on it. It was hard to learn when she did the same things every day and didn't have her own place to try things out.